LO206 Tuning/Repairs Before/During/After Races

:+1: (20 characters)

@highSRT In 206, Stickers are a smidge slower then tires with some heat cycles on them at my track.

@da_sniffa32 On the spec Ignite tires, the R80’s, you’re probably not gonna be able to visually see when they’re needing replaced. They’re so hard, they’re going to heat cycle out before they wear out. Lap time drops with likely be your signal to get new ones. I don’t know how long they last, but the other Hoosier compounds will grip till the cords show.

Very useful info guys! I wasn’t able to watch the videos until today because of final exams. Would I be setting the valve lash before/after every race, or would it be more of an occasional checkup?

Check the last at the beginning and forget about it. Unless something is left loose or you have a parts failure it isn’t going to change much.i only check ours after installing the cylinder head. And yhen once more after a good heat cycling. Remember to do it o a cold engine.

Oh ok, what about setting the carb on the lo206, is that necessary and how often?

Check it before you get started then I would leave it alone until your driving is consistent enough to know if the changes you made are helping. I try to never have more than 1 thing change at a time unless I know how it work out. If your driving isn’t consistent you will never know if the change helped or hurt. Make to many blind changes and you venture too far from your known good setup. This engine is very used friendly and forgiving. Add fuel and go. Change oil once in a while but just get some sear time before you worry to much else. The time spent driving will pay off more than time spent tuning at the start.

I like the idea of making only one change at a time makes sense. I’m not gonna worry too much about tuning when I first start, since I know I’m not consistent enough for it to make a true difference. It’s just interesting to know what I should do once I get to the point when tuning changes will make a significant impact.

Do you guys recommend changing tires every 4 races when I first start or use one pair of tires for the full season since my driving isn’t consistent yet and then use fresher ones once the old tires are limiting me? And should I start with new tires or with tires from the tire dump?

This is just fine if they are in decent shape. Get seat time and confidence.

My rule this first year was to not start using new tires per race until I became competitive. Competitive is a relative term to you. It makes a huge difference once you can start to be consistent and are hanging with the pack.

Yeah that’s why I was thinking maybe older tires would be better because I can save cash and work on driving. I would switch to newer tires once I was consistent with the older ones and feeling that it was holding me back.

1 Like