N00b karter - Rental Tips and Tricks

Thanks for the reply guys. I am happy with some progress, was hoping for more. Hopefully next time I go out the kart I get has more grip. I feel like a real karter already; blaming everything but my driving :rofl:
@Matthijs_Hofman after reading in other threads about leaning to the outside during turns I was doing something similar to your suggestion. I definitely felt a difference in grip when doing this.

I’m gonna try this “bracing yourself” across the kart too.

Every ski shop in the country sells a little visor pad wipe to keep the visor from fogging up. You know it’s got to work when there’s a ambient temperature of freezing. I always had one in my ski jacket. They’re real real cheap. I don’t know where you live, there may be no ski shops in your area, so order it online. I’m sure all of the ski online shops will have it.

1 Like

Thanks Alvin. I live in Queensland, Australia. It’s currently the winter and we are expecting a to get 27c (80 Fahrenheit) :joy:. I’ll check online of those wipes :+1:t2:

Many years ago I sold Mayko pipes, and I think fuel tanks, in Australia. Roundabout kart shop, is that a good name? I loved Nick Dundee and the Bee Gees.

I have heard the name Roundabout, but don’t think it’s in my area. I think there is a trophy named after that shop in Aus/nz karting.

That is seriously fun looking layout. It all points to a smooth steering and being patient throughout upper section. What kart are you driving? Sorry if you already mentioned it somewhere, I did not manage it find where if you did so. After I know this, I could possibly help you with a corner or two as I happen to drive rentals on a track similar (lot of transition, low-high-low speed corners) to yours, at the end I think you know the track I am talking about, you commented a few times on my topic. So maybe you read all of those messages but there is a lot, so maybe I could just simplify what I learned from the guys here and share my experience as I am kind of a beginner just like you. All the best

1 Like

If I am correct, you should be driving Sodi with the exact same engine as I do, right? (Honda 270cc, 9hp)

1 Like

I have been following your thread and taking what knowledge I can. We race 270cc 9hp Sodi rental karts.

1 Like

That is great. I read about those karts at Go Karting World website, and I see they are so light! Around 80kg (my kart without me with full tank has 130kg, 50kg more :flushed:) with full fuel tank plus your weight. Those 50kg less give the engine a chance to show of. That should be enough for much better handling and less tyre screaming comparing to my experience. I suggest you always try new things, always test lines. Remember, slower corners can gain you much more time than the highspeed ones.

So my suggestion is that you find a solid line that you can use through highspeed corners, those that come after start-finish straight (I guess you probably did, since your laptime is pretty good). Try out different solutions for the long sequence at the end of a lap and try to move all the time, keep the momentum nicely, I think it can pay off in a light kart as that Sodi is.

Is definitely a fun and challenging track, and I’m really only just coming to grips with it now. I know I have a good line through a few of the fast corners, but, have lots of improving to do on the other parts. I have adopted different lines through the back section since reading your thread. I was doing a lot of point an shoot cornering there previously. My second session I did tried to think of that section as one big flowing part and feel if I had more grip would’ve made up a lot of time there.
One struggle I am having is that I can’t immediately see how the different lines effect times as you only get to see lap times at the end of the session, and by that time I forget what I did different on that lap. I have ordered a GoPro to film my up coming session so I can look through it and compare lines to lap times. I’ll be sure to upload those recordings and post a link here for anyone interested.

That’s basically what I did at etown. I watched videos of others. And compared my vids to theirs. I found it helpful. Particularly as you skill up and start understanding the track a bit better.

There isn’t a lot of videos around from this track, and of the few that are available a number are from before they updated the track. There is one YouTube user who has a couple of videos up. I have been trying to implement some of the lines, but, like you said I should watch them again now I know the track a bit better.

Does it look like he knows where he’s going? If not, maybe there’s value in that too. Sorta who does it better comparison thinking.

The videos are of him driving in the rental league in 2017. I think he was second row starting in a few videos, so top 5. At very least, he is more experienced than I. I will watch them again tonight and see what I think.

So he probably has a good line then. I kinda went/am going through the same thing in sim on a track in England. Sorta like Pavle, where theres a leaderboard and that’s the race, really.

It’s basically laps. Laps and laps and laps.

Chip away at the bits that are worst and then move on to the next worst.

Then, refine. But its basically accomplished by running a LOT of laps.

1 Like

I re-watched the videos I could and unfortunately all the ones I could find are of the old layout as seen here:

Overall there are a few differences. The approach to the back section is now different and the straight is now… well… straighter.

I like both layouts. That seems like it could keep you busy figuring out how to link all that together. What’s facility called?

This will change, most likely.

If I am correct, it is “Go Karting World”.