New vs. Used 206

Weighing a 1st time jump into the world of 206. Found a used kart (10+ yr old chassis, but maintained and w/relatively new engine), but also looking at just starting with new gear.

More importantly, I’m looking for input on how other tracks view alterations to 206 karts…for example, non-standard but cheaper B/S fuel pumps, plugs.

Any insight is appreciated. Just don’t wanna waste my $.

Thx!

1 Like

Welcome @John_Langeler!

Here’s a topic that might help you on the New Vs. Used dilemma:

Basically all clubs/tracks are meant to follow the 206 rules in order for it to be legitimately a 206 class. That includes using the B&S marked plugs, correct air filter etc. The cost is perhaps a little higher, but it does help with the “oh they have a special plug/filter/widget” and makes the purchase decision straightforward. You know what you are getting and you know it’s going to work.

Good news is that you could expect to get a LONG time out of a plug, filter will last as long as you need it to and fuel pumps generally last seasons as well.

Lots (I’d say most) people start off with older chassis and just start turning laps to get their times down. Overall I think a used package in good condition from a solid buyer is a great way to start

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thx! Excellent forum

2 Likes

James hit the nail on the head here. Basically the same advice that I’d give.

It depends on how good a deal you get.

Probably the best deal is a used LO206 complete package. That way all the mounts and extras are there and work on the kart. Probably $600 for mounts and such, Around $600 for a new engine. New LO206 package around $1200, short block $300 (or a bit less)

Where used really helps is on all the extras if they are usable. A bunch of 3 year old dried out tires that should have been thrown out but now come with the kart is not a deal. Ditto on a box of YF200 parts thrown in. Worn sprockets, suit 2 sizes too small, bent steering parts . . .

1 Like

Here’s what’s included, FYI.

2000ish Top Kart chassis
2017 year LO206 motor with maybe 12hrs on it.
Carbon fiber floor pan
Carbon fiber seat struts
Carbon fiber steering shaft
CRG modern spindles
New tie rods and ends
Mychron 3
New fuel tank
New CRG axle
Ceramic bearings
Titanium front bumper supports
Titanium brake pedal rod
Billet Kart pedal set
Titanium hardware all over the Kart
Magnesium douglas wheel set
Aluminum wheel set
All the gears you need to our track
Spare fuel pump
2 spare spark plugs
Kart dolly (non powered)

Has it been recently raced at a track that you’re planning running at? Many early 2k chassis run older style bodywork that some tracks may not allow.

Carbon fiber parts can be an issue as well, legality can vary.

Have them verify the model of the chassis and ybe homolgation. CRG spindles and axle on a topkart seems like an odd mix, but it might have worked well for them.

Some tips on chassis Identification here:

It would help if you gave your budget, location, and goals.

Personally I wouldn’t even consider that package unless you just plan to mess around having fun, can get all of that for <$1,200, and know resale will be difficult.

None of that has any real value (except the 206). Titanium, carbon fiber, or billet pieces don’t make you go any faster. This is a great example of what someone new to karting should avoid. You can find relatively new packages that will provide more value in the long run.

3 Likes

Thx for the reply. I’m in Las Vegas, looking to race for fun,not as a career or anything. I’m starting from scratch, so any money I can save can be put towards other items (transport, tools, spares, etc.)

I agree with what you’re saying about value, etc. However, the kart was fast w/its current owner. The carbon fiber and titanium isn’t the selling point as much as getting on the track. I’ve been looking at other options as well…including a brand new CRG.

Currently in the process of prepping a used LO206, which is my first kart. Based on my myriad headaches, I’d say this: if you’re buying used, buy a setup that has very recently run well on a track. Sure, there will be minor things to sort/replace, but at least you’ll be working with a setup known to be sorted and in track-ready condition.

I, on the other hand, did not do this. I heard the engine fire up and thought, “Perfect!” No. Not perfect. Don’t be like me.

3 Likes

I just heard Morgan Freeman narrating your life.
-Dylan just bought a new Kart- “Perfect” he said
-Morgan Freeman- “it was not perfect”

2 Likes

Hey Dylan! Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like there’s a bit of a story there. Tell us more…

I plan to start a thread soon documenting my progress. Don’t want to take over this thread.

Just to add to the conversation, there’s a Praga chassis/engine for sale here too. Not too familiar with the maker. Insight?

1 Like

Praga is another well known brand. - https://www.facebook.com/pragakarting/?ref=br_rs

It’s always about whether you’re looking for a kart that you want to jump into yourself, or if you’re looking for a shop to help support you as you go. Most chassis are good, if they are well taken care of.

1 Like

Went ahead and bought the used 206. Worse comes to worse, I have a relatively new engine, kart stand, Mychron and spares to get started with.

2 Likes