Nitrogen vs Air

Not to beat a dead horse about tire balancing, but it’s not JUST about making the kart fast or a ‘comfort’ factor, it’s also about maintaining a clear channel for ‘driver feel’. For instance, when it comes time to push though a high speed sweeper drifting all 4 tires, and/or sticking the kart into very tight spaces to make a pass, most would agree that the ability to accurately feel all the nuances of the kart, the tires, and the edge of grip is important. So in those cases, it’s not just about being ‘fast’, it’s about staying on the track or completing a pass.

Conversely, it’s not hard to imagine that if a kart/wheel has an ‘extra’ oscillation going on all to itself, a driver will have to do a lot more filtering to tell signal from noise when on the edge of control.

1 Like

Good point. I will have to try and see when I get the margay. I never bothered balancing the x30.

I’ve never balanced my wheels :man_shrugging:t2:

Never felt the need, I’d say if you’re running the same tyre for several races it would make a difference. New boots each race not so much.

I see the benefit of nitrogen though, provided you suck out the air. I can be doing one race at 90% humidity and others less than 20% and anywhere in between, I do have difficulties getting the right tyre pressure. It always seems to be random when I get it right! Maybe consistently having the same moisture content from race to race would make it easier?

From a prominent manufacturer of kart tires (MG), right under recommended tire temperature operating range on their tips page - http://mgtiresusa.com/tips/ If that and other’s direct testimony is not enough to convince, got nothing else for it. :slightly_smiling_face:

“BALANCING
Balancing of the wheel/tire set is of fundamental importance to reach the best achievement of your kart. Unbalanced wheels can affect on vibrations, driving comfort, excessive tires wear, and lower achievement.”

Cool. I like having stuff to test, I’ll give em a go

1 Like

For the guys that are balancing wheels/tires, how long are you running tires? One set per race, or multiple race weekends? Are you checking and re-balancing between sessions or race weekends?

I’d think with the amount of physical rubber scrubbed off of tires as they are used that it’d change the balance over time right? I guess if it’s just one set per race it’s not likely as big of a deal, but over multiple weekends you’d potentially lose the value of balancing while still carrying the deficit of increased rolling mass.

Balance really shouldn’t change as the tires wear. The big things that’ll change it are flat spots, picking up marbles, or bending a wheel.

2 Likes

I balance each set when new and that’s it. Like Zach said, it shouldn’t go out of balance after unless you hit something.

1 Like

To those who are balancing are you doing the spin method on the hub or using a bubble balancer?

Just spin it on the hub. Put the weight(s) on the top of the wheel.

1 Like