No spark 2t clutch engine

Hi, I’m new in this forum so I don’t know very well how this works, if I have to introduce myself somewhere or something please tell me. The case I just bought a 00s kart with a Top-Kart chassis and a Comer Mik 545 engine, this engine is a two-stroke, 100cc and gives about 20hp, is an engine with clutch without gears, this makes you can start at a standstill and if you spin it doesn’t stop if I’m not mistaken, but you have to start it with an external starter. Today I looked to see if the engine worked turning the engine with a drill and the spark plug does not give spark, so here is my question, being an engine that needs an external starter may be that with the drill does not reach enough revolutions for the spark plug to give spark? Or it has nothing to do with it? I would like to know before touching anything about the electric ignition of the engine. By the way, the problem is not coming from the spark plug. Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Welcome! If you are 100% sure that the spark is not sparking, before change the ignition be sure that the problem is not from the cables and the spark plug cap (self experience lol). And I never tested start this type of engine with a drill, but I think it will work.

Read this topic and checkout the video for good info on that ignition type… Worth noting that the spark can be very hard to see.

1 Like

The spark RPM is usually around 150RPM for the older red motoplat type systems. PVL usually no spark until 450 in my experience.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the answers, the problem was the drill not giving enough rpm :sweat_smile: thanks for the help :smile:.

3 Likes

Great news!!! Keep us posted.

3 Likes