Pre-race nutrition prep

Zetherington,
My wife will hate you for sending me on another search for something weird to consume. Same for TJ with the dead people drink. I am already drinking coconut water daily so nobody has to take a hit for that one. I am trying to imagine the taste of these. I tasted a kombucha recently, it’s going to be a while before I can try another. I thought it was “Naz-Tee.”

Beetroot juice might be great; Two things that stand out:
1- “Interestingly, studies suggest less “elite” athletes are likely to benefit the most.”
2- “nitrate oxide specifically increased blood flow to fast-twitch muscle fibres - the type needed in sprinting and sudden bursts of intensity.” (Fast-twitch will tire more quickly.)

excerpt from something I read:
"The overall effect is two-fold: more oxygen is moved around the body, and the body requires less energy to perform.

Two shots of concentrated beetroot juice (around 600ml) two-and-a-half hours before exercise reduced the amount of oxygen used during moderate-intensity exercise and increases stamina, in a study conducted by Exeter University scientists published in the Journal of Applied Physiology in 2013.

Best results have been demonstrated in shorter distance events, although gains during endurance sports are yet to be fully explored.

Interestingly, studies suggest less “elite” athletes are likely to benefit the most.

Explosive team sports such as football are where the most gains may be made.

A study led by David Poole at Kansas State University published in the journal Nitric Oxide: Biology and Chemistry in October 2014 found that nitrate oxide specifically increased blood flow to fast-twitch muscle fibres - the type needed in sprinting and sudden bursts of intensity."

I guess a 3rd point would be: "Two shots of concentrated beetroot juice (around 600ml) two-and-a-half hours

before

exercise"
That was one of my points in other threads - you have to be proactive, not reactive in your nutrition and training.

Take a look at this… Drinking cold water in any type of hot situation, anywhere, is quite dangerous… If you’re drinking cold water to cool you off, close to a race, bad things will happen. Just a matter of when and where.

The cold vs ambient water debate has not been resolved. There are still studies proving one is better and others proving the other is better. One of the things I read on it had to do with short term performance and didn’t address any other aspect other that core temp. So cold water was better at reducing core temp short term, but would that really help in a day of karting. So we often see conclusions out of context.
For me it’s an all day issue with a day of karting, not a next session issue. I think long term on hydration. Once you get behind, you probably wont catch up at the track.

2 Likes