Questions from a Lifer #1 - Marketing and Demographics

Yep, that’s the dilemma. Most “Competition” karting events are not sustainable by any sensible metric. So rentals can help with the pain.

Of course then the two can be battling each other for track time. I think in some cases the club builds a track, then rents it out to a company to operate rentals, with stipulations that certain weekends are always available for competition karting.

Also: Really wish there was a better way to describe “competition karting”.

MX is still more accessible, even for comparable operating costs. You don’t need 6-7 figure facility to ride a dirt bike. Open spaces & off road public recreational vehicle parks will do, no development investment required. How many parking lots can I just show up & drive my shifter in? Karts aren’t legal on public roads, either, so even supermoto riders have that as a back if the bike is road legal & tabbed. A kart is a very purpose built machine. The more tracks the better. Europe is comparably littered with them. So, I think part of it is simply that America needs more tracks & more Americans to embrace the sport to up its visibility & status. Chicken, meet egg, & vice versa.

While I agree that the “Group 2” demographic is very important, there is a significant portion of that demographic that got hooked when they were part of the “Group 1” demographic.

I hated it when the bank of mom and dad dried up, but I always knew that one day I’d be back.

And now that I’m back, I’ve got my daughter hooked too.

What I’m really saying is that we shouldn’t ignore the long-term importance of getting that “Group 1” demographic hooked… because it becomes part of the “Group 2” demographic that doesn’t need any marketing to attract to the sport.

2 Likes