Questions from a lifer #2 What are you looking for?

Of course there are young guys working in the sport, nothing wrong with that but it has gotten to the point where often their advice and experience is considered more than that of veterans.

You’ve never heard teams, tuners etc. claiming to be able to make you a star? Interesting!!

What makes you think that I don’t like a proper shop? My shop is a proper 7500+ square foot shop with large inventory, full machine shop and decades of experience.

1 Like

In response to the first post, I’ll take all items, even the 20 something hype man. Living in the Cincinnati area, to the best of my knowledge, there are no real kart shops in the vicinity. Most things, as Derek mentions, I can take care of online, but for me, I’d like to have a nearby shop that I could just go into whenever I felt like it.

If there was a shop close by that did stuff like straighten axles, frames, etc., I’d love that. We have a dude in Cincinnati for axles that works out of his garage, but you can’t just pull your axle and go knock on his door. If I want my frame checked out, it’s a trip to Indianapolis. All the other stuff, I can handle myself.

2 Likes

I’m 6’2" and the NEK Modular seat was a huge improvement over my old standard shaped Greyhound seat.

1 Like
   Of course those guys didn't pop out of thin air. They spent years, even decades learing from guys like me.
You said that the kids working now are going to grow and get to that point eventually.
 I certainly hope so, I do doubt that very many will stick with it long enough to get to that point.

The so called useless flashy stuff I was referring to is mostly new kart chassis. Out of the few remaining “Legacy” shops that have been in the business for 30+ years very few continue to sell new karts. For good reason, it’s a thing called “Return on Investment” and frankly the selling of new karts just is not profitable but consumes a huge portion of a business’ capital while hanging the dealer with tons of outdated parts.

I’m not sure if that was your intent but I hope you realize that you were passively/aggressively giving me a lecture and that didn’t go down well. I honestly believe that I am one of the most experienced people in the world of kart racing. I never said smart!!

Your profile puts your location as Indy and/or Milwaukee if you're on the Indy side you should pay me a visit to understand what a true "proper" kart shop is.
1 Like

These are some pretty wild generalizations to be making about entire age ranges. I would argue that Brandon Jarsocrack has some of the best experience in the country at the moment, and I don’t even think he qualifies for masters yet. Sure, he’s got years of learning from Doty and Jones behind him, but that’s still a young guy I’d trust just as much as any veteran out there. I’ve also seen some 20-something guys I would never let touch my kart.

I also spend a couple hours every week talking with Scottie and Don Grenier about things, they have a lot of experience I like to learn from, but I’ve seen guys in the sport for years that don’t know how to tune a kart or coach a driver better than a kid 2 years into the sport could.

So nobody should be selling new karts anymore? Most shops I know sell new karts because it keeps customers coming back. Those karts get sold used, the new owner comes to the shop for work/parts, they’re another customer to add, they’ll need another kart sometime, whether used or new, and they’re more likely to buy from the shop they’ve been working with. To just say “shops don’t sell karts because they’re not profitable” sounds very short sighted.

I’ve moved to Chicago since I’ve updated my location, but I’m fairly familiar with plenty of “proper” shops (and some improper ones as well)

Let’s keep it constructive guys. Both of you have valuable experience.

Karting is many things to many people. That includes what they need from a shop, or team, or engine, or whatever.

Operating any business in karting is hard, let’s not knock each other just because we serve (or don’t serve) certain markets.

That’s not what was meant, it does mean that unless you are a racing team and doing “arrive and drives” that it doesn’t make sense unless you’ve got 75K+ in cash sitting around that you don’t know what to do with.

You said “These are some pretty wild generalations to be making about entire age ranges.”
HUH?

There may be some hope for you if you’re talking with Don and Scott Grenier. Don and I have been friends since the 70s and Scott since he was like 12 years old.
They indeed have a lot of experience and have built a good operation. It’s funny Don and I came up through the sport together. We learned from the same well of knowledge. We’re even the same age although I’m better looking!

I’m truly done with this $hit.

1 Like

Friendly, honest, and helpful staff who can get me any part I need and are happy to tell me I’m wrong or right when I have a question or concern.

Happy to pay full retail when someone treats me with respect and can provide the products and services I need. It doesn’t have to be a fancy shop or a shiny team tent. I work out of a dusty, tiny shop myself.

I did just want to touch on the experience/age tussle… Obviously experience is a huge factor in how helpful a shop or individual can be, but it must be relevant experience. I think what I see a lot is some older guys with lots of experience grow a little out-of-touch with the current scene if they aren’t at the track regularly or attended these big national events. Even if you are just serving local racers, knowing the latest tech rulings or seeing the latest driving standards or new chassis at these big races is going to benefit your business and your customers.

One of the main reasons I keep doing races each year is to stay hip to the current state of the sport and get immersed in how the driving is, what the new hot setup tips are etc. My advice as a coach and tuner is useless if I am still focused on how things were done 10-15 years ago, since karting has changed a bit since then. One guy with 40 years experience might have less recent/relevant experience than the 20 year old kid who has been running national races himself the last 5 years.

By the same token, the guy with 40 years experience surely has seen more and has deep knowledge that cannot be replaced by someone younger. I think you need both types of individuals in the sport.

As a 32 year old with 20 years of karting experience, I try really hard to stay relevant and knowledgeable for my customer base. I know that my 2008 national championship means next to nothing to a 14 year old kid these days. I was racing on a totally different kart with an engine package that most kids haven’t even heard of with a tire that is vastly different than what you race on now.

Not pointing that at you Greg, just wanted to put that perspective out there because I think it’s valid.

4 Likes

that 7 is just like my coach :rofl:

1 Like

Hey didn’t you just start a company that sells engine services and coaching?

@Awa My dude, you have become the 20 something kid in the 60 dollar team shirt (just a few years early).

Welp yeah! About team shirt is true but i got it for free😵 i also need a driving coach tho… he is alot alot better then me wrld cup and shit

1 Like