Simracing Thread - 2020 Stay-at-Home Edition

SRs infects their minds. It creates weird drivers. That’s what I found

@tjkoyen oh that wasn’t to use you as an example. I was referring to some of the nascar and f1 dudes who were QQing about how it’s not the same.

Well of course not! Doesn’t mean that since you haven’t wanted to figure it out, that’s it’s crap. See those other fellas winning? They are ok with that. And, they might end up kicking your asses irl because they are more consistently engaged in driving.

@Alan_Dove safety rating? Iracing?

Yep. I hated racing on iRacing. To build SR you spend an inordinate amount of timer circulating in endurance series sh*tting yourself if you dare run wide once.

Iracing produces the same sort of anxiety as an amusement park ride. Once the bar goes down, you are a passenger and it’s out of your control.

I’ve managed to go from 800 iRating back up to 1500 in just the last week. Taking a week off from the cayman has helped!!! Been kicking butt in the 991 cup and really enjoying it. Popular times of the day that field has almost 100 cars and does up to 5 splits!!!, I’ve moved up to the middle split and still winning.

I also started using pure driving school for setups, takes some of the guess work out of the equation. I found their cayman setups to be a bit of an adaptation for me but fast once I figured them out. The 991 cup was too tail happy for me though, I could run really fast laps if I got everything right but I wasn’t consistent. Taming down the rear from their baseline has helped and allowed me to be pretty quick

I also never realized you could “ghost” race in a session. I jumped into the top split on a couple cup car races and was able to run top5 without issue. Interesting to be able to just drive through people or have them drive through you!!!

1 Like

I ended up re-upping Iracing and giving the old dirt oval cars a spin.

Managed to get my license in a few races and get into the faster/better sprint cars.

I really enjoyed dirt. It’s very interesting how the line changes as the clay gets muddier. It’s also very interesting how you drive these with throttle. The temptation is to just put the foot flat to the floor and go. Problem is, it’s not the fastest way, I think. Squeezing throttle carefully seems to work better.

One of the things with oval that is confusing is never being sure if the cars I’m racing against are on the same lap as me. Hard to tell in all the chaos.

1 Like

Ive been having fun on the california highway on pc2

I’ve been getting back into Assetto Corsa and running my F4 car around in races.!

I have done dirt oval a few times and enjoy it. I just completed my first full season of skip barber last week and I love it. Not the fastest but I feel driving these will help me in Karting. Since they are momentum open wheel cars, the grips starts to come in and they grip like Velcro. Racing is super close and always a full class to race.

1 Like

Looks like sim really did take off. Anecdotally, used gear still seems fully priced. Supply of new stuff has gotten better. Except video cards.

Motorsport Games, which is the publisher of the NASCAR Heat franchise, itself enjoyed a bumper year off the back of increased interest in sim racing. It hosted more than 50 esports events during 2020, delivering a total of 51 million viewers. That was far higher than the 3.8 million audience it had attracted just 12 months before.

Let me know if you find anything cheap. I’d love to hop on the wheel train

Just built my first gaming computer, it was easier than I thought. Put ACC on it, and oh boy! Actually had spent a week racing ACC, then switched back to Xbox for a league race in PC2. I had a hard time with car control in PC2, need to allow myself more time to get acclimated.

Did you get a wheel? Was it you that did the fanatec sale?

What is your budget?

Elias, I have my Thrustmaster stuff for sale. I switched to Fanatec.

1 Like

That’s a good start. I had the thrustmaster tx first which is now in the hands of a friends son.

heh… about $150-200 max

See what Dan wants, seems like a good lead!

Dan, the race series against ai is pretty fun in project cars. There was one race at a Japanese track in the rain, at dusk, that was memorable. So beautiful.

Our ORC league did Sugo in the ran last series with Ferrari vs Lamborghini GT3’s. It was a handful.
https://onlineracingcollec.wixsite.com/home