Simracing to win

Yeah it’s essentially a Windows PC.
Mine is an older quad core i7. I think it’s a 2xxx series. GTX1050 graphics card. 16Gb ram (rarely fully utilized to be honest.

I think I paid $150 for the combo of motherboard/CPU and ram two years ago (used). So figure you could nab that for under $100.
The GTX I bought for $120 also used late last year but I think I got a deal on it. They seem to be trending around $150 still.

So for vr, here’s the basics and recommended.

If you read forums all everyone talks about is the latest and greatest stuff which is really expensive. There’s plenty of older cars/cpu combos that run just fine.

Here’s a story from last night. One of the things I have noticed about sim racing VR as opposed to racing on the screen is how intense VR is.

Last night, final lap at Red Bull ring. I had been driving fairly badly and was trading places with the front 4 throughout the race. 5th to 2nd back to 4th etc. mostly this is due to me not having figured out braking in the new car, but I’m just making excuses, I kind of was terrible.
Last couple laps I try to pull it together and push up to the front. Make my way up to second.

Approaching the last turn, I decide to try the inside in a pass that isnt there, not even close. I figure it’s just a sim, go for it.

So I’ve got the momentum, and I pull out for the pass. I didn’t have enough and we both arrive at the apex and our front suspensions get tangled. We go into a long slow spin mid corner, bleeding out into the the left edge of the track but still in the racing line.

As we spin, the suspension gets untangled, and now I am pushing him sideways and it’s just too much… Boing!!! Over he goes in a spectacular flip.

At this point I am feeling pretty bad about the whole thing. I just killed a dude out of impatience and stupidity… but little did I know I was about to get my just desserts.

As the ai dude flipped into oblivion, my flat spin continued, and as my nose rotated around, I am greeted by the rest of the pack rounding the final corner WOT right into me. First one makes it around me but KAPOW goes places 2-7 right into me, head on.

I took the headset off, thoroughly disturbed by the whole thing. It felt so real and I felt so very, very foolish and bad. There’s something about virtual reality that works surprisingly well on an emotional level. I suspect I will be driving much smarter in the future. It’s too disturbing to act like a hooligan.

1 Like

Dom: I’d assumed that VR would intensify the experience visually, but I hadn’t reckoned on the emotional impact. That’s a big jump forward from just gaming.

You use that Microsoft rig in the link? And you’d recommend it?

James, you use something different haven’t you ?

I can’t recommend the one I got because it’s a very compromised inexpensive one. It’s uncomfortable but most importantly it has plastic lenses so unless it comes back on sale, pass.

What seems to be going on is that these WMR units go on sale big time. The recent deal was the Samsung odyssey plus for $300 but it’s back up to 5 now. I think the next gen is coming soon.

Another alternative is used. Vr isn’t for everyone.

On the emotional stuff, bear in mind that to a certain extent I’m hamming it up on the Internet! But I am also not kidding when I say it is much more realistic and much more intense.
You “lose” yourself in the virtual race and big offs or crashes are quite startling and sometimes terrifying. Unlike a normal driving game, it’s hard to stay plugged in for hours on end. You find yourself needing a break. It’s a lot like Karting, past a certain point, you need to stop and let your brain catch up.

Thanks Dom.

Ive no idea how much it costs to develop a modern sim like rFactor or the new kart one you guys have been discussing - but to let a couple of hundred bucks stand between you/ me and the leveraging the capabilities of software this advanced, doesn’t seem sensible to me. spend some dough to get the best of the experience, and to honour the efforts of the developers.

Thanks for your advice.

L

I forgot to answer the what sims I’m playing.

I just got iracing because I want to try actual races.

I use assetto corsa, project cars2 and forza as well. I also really like f12018 but that doesn’t do vr.

Actually lee, that’s a good point. Lots of dudes like me will sheepishly admit to doing silly stuff like wearing racing shoes and gloves to sim. Not necessary but fun.

Gloves can help (apparently) if you’ve got a longer race and sweaty hands.

True but I have yet to find a good reason to don my suit. Perhaps I could have Nick topple my rig over when I crash.

I just like wearing my race gloves on the sim. More comfortable for my hands.

Hi everyone!

Anyone tried VR on PS4? I’m just starting to drive rental karts, however the winter is approaching swiftly and there’s no indoor karting in my town.

Was thinking of hooking up PS4 + wheelstand pro + VR + KartKraft. Has anyone tried this or similar combo?

Cheerio

1 Like

Hey Goran,
It is looking like KartKraft’s original plan to release a console version has been pushed back. No eta, unfortunately.
Xbox guy here, so no clue on PSVR. I did have a wheelstand pro when I played forza etc on xbox. Its a good product but its not super stable. Its a very light and portable design. But, it works well.

It appears we are going to be seeing next generation consoles shortly. It would be cool if they up the VR game for console.

The Discord is pretty active for KK if you get into it. Project cars has Karting on console. It, unfortunately, doesn’t compare at all to KK karting.

Argh… Wanted to use the PS4 as I already have it standing unused… Appreciate the feedback, I guess I took KK being available on console for granted :slight_smile:

Yah. I played on console for a long time. Its super convenient but the PC environment is better in terms of titles and stuff like VR.

I feel like this forum is going to make me broke!! I have been playing GT Sport and racing the karts on there…only have controller for PS4. I was going to look into a sim rig this winter…but a new motor will be on order soon so there goes that idea!!

Oh Well there is always next off season!!

1 Like

If it’s of interest keep an eye on Craigslist and the like. You can find stuff much cheaper that way. All you really need is a wheelstand, wheel and pc. All the shakers and stuff is just yours truly going down the rabbit hole.

Yeah that would be something I would build into. I will keep CL in mind for that stuff. Had to bribe the wife to let me get my KA! lol

I think its because they are doing it for car development, not so much driver practice. I’m somewhat surprised they still need drivers and can’t get a computer program to do it.

The holy grail of what they are trying to achieve is an accurate digital model of the real world, so they can test parts without manufacturing them, saving them both time and money. I attended a presentation from Dr Peter Van Manen who used to be McLarens Head of Simulation (i think that was his title) about this. He has a ted talk on how F1 helps babies too lol.