Some driving technique clarification

This is great, just found the thread. I need help learning to drive sprint karts. I raced 250 shifters in the UK during the 80/90’s on motor racing tracks. The karts had four wheel brakes. Fast forward to early last year I picked up a couple of Rotax max karts to go out and have some fun on. Well I’ve been to the track four times since getting the karts and all I can say is that sprint karting is a whole different ball game. I thought I was going to be reasonably fast after a couple of sessions but that is not the case! I’m not slow but way slower than I want to be. I was at Adams kart track a couple of months ago and there was a couple of other guys out there practicing both had a couple karts and all the laptops in the pits. They would just fly past me and I couldn’t latch on to them to see what they were doing🤷🏻‍♂️. Anyway I like all the info and videos in this thread, lots for me to think about. I really should pay for a coach for the day even if I don’t plan on racing anytime soon.

John, I found great benefit from remote help if the coaching opportunities near you are limited. I’m not sure if TJ still does that sort of thing but I’ll bet there are others. If you want additional info pm me to keep thread clear.

1 Like

John, What gear are you running and at what weight? The gearing at Adams is taller than one would think looking at the track. I ran Rotax there a few times and many races on other motors couple of times but I don’t remember the gearing. If I find, I’ll send to you. Try a taller gear and work on getting the chassis and driving right. If you are running the esses, they can be taken flat with a KA (don’t remember if I could with Rotax) but I had to drive on way up on the curbs. The track is bit tawdry looking but it is tons of fun. Also, you have to get the kart to roll thru the Sand Box turn.

Here’s a link to Adams with my KA100 on a Croc kart. Not perfect but you get the idea.

I also wanted to add that sprint kart driving strategy is very different from Road Racing.

2 Likes

Thanks Larry! That video is great, helps see the lines to take. You are definitely getting through the last corner coming onto the start finish straight better than me meaning you get up to speed quicker on the straight. The bowl turn (is that what you are calling the sand box turn) by the pit lane I seem to do something different every lap there and none of it good🤷🏻‍♂️. I know you should be able to rail around there but I’m just sliding.
I will check my gearing tomorrow but I for sure dropped two teeth off the rear compared to Fontana gearing. As far as weight I’m not racing so that is not something I check however I have about 30lbs added to the kart I drive and I weigh 165lb. The other kart has no weight on it because most of my friends that would drive it are nearer 200lb.
For sure road course racing is totally different to sprint karts as I’m find out. I was top ten in most races in the UK national championships in the 250🤷🏻‍♂️

John, The only note that I have is I ran a 12:80 at Adams, I’m pretty sure that we ran through the esses that time. As a reference, I also run a 12:80, when the grip was good, on CalSpeed Grande or Nuovo but not Classico. All the data I have for Rotax is run at Master weigh of 405.

Thanks Larry, that is the exact gearing that I have on my karts :+1:

@tjkoyen Thanks for the clarification, makes things much more clear. :+1:t4:
And thanks to you, i got a podium in my first race in DD2 :muscle:t4:

3 Likes