Top end Maintenance clarification

Did the kart on 60-70 hours do well or just run???

Also, I figured the lo206 engine didn’t need much engine work. Most of the people I have talked with have said the same thing

Pretty sure he got last… he was also on a very dated chassis. I have no experience with 2 strokes but I dont think any 2 stroke can survive that long without major performance drops.

From what i’ve heard from people, engine would have probably exploded long before 60 hours in 2 stroke xD

8 races at an 45 mins to an hour a race your looking at a top end every season and a bottom end every other season. I run a shorter track and I add 30-40 mins a race day on the motor.

You can get a good used chassis for 2-3k or a race ready package for 4-5k.

Other way to spread it out a little is get the chassis you want for the Rok and use it for the 206. Yank the 3rd bearing out, slap on the 206 and go race.

Unless your out pounding laps every weekend for practice, if that is the case keep the 206 to pound out laps and save on the cost of the rok.

I blew mine at around 30 hrs, let top end go a bit long and overheated the cylinder one day.

X30

I’m not planning on pounding out the lo206 every weekend. I’m probably just going to do the eight races in the season, maybe a couple of practices over the season but probably not too many. Would racing lo206 in a rok chassis affect my performance in lo206?

Depending on what chassis you select it might narrow your Tuning window slightly if you choose a all 32mm chassis, but that might even be a bit stiff for the rok. But overall no I don’t believe so.

At our local track the leaders are on a mix of tag and 4 stroke specific chassis.

So should I try an all 30 mm chassis? And does would racing 8 times a season with a couple practices on a rok chassis be ok or is it better to get a newer rok chassis when I transition?

I guess that depends on the chassis and how many seasons you want to run it before switching over to Rok. Some brands hold up better over time that others with less performance loss from what I hear. OTK for example being so soft, tend to sag a little at the waist which can affect you tuning window. I have heard CRG’s hold up pretty well and I am sure there are others. Perhaps someone with an older chassis can chime in about performance drops for their brand.

Chances are you’ll be totally fine to continue with that same chassis unless you damage it.

Left rail sag is real, but it’s fairly universal across brands. For OTK being “soft” and wearing out… fast I’m not convinced. I’ve yet to see a compelling argument for this.

James,
What would you estimate is a reasonable life expectancy for a Major Brand chassis assuming 8 - 12 races a year with practices in between? Secondly, when would you start to notice a drop off in tune-ability that would benefit from upgrading to a newer model? I seem to recall this question in another thread, but bring it up again as it seems relative to this one as well.

This question comes up almost weekly.
2-3 years is no problem on OTK stuff for that amount of racing.

I ran a 2016 Exprit for 2 1/2 years, running pretty heavy duty races (sticky tires, lots beating and banging, curb jumping) and it was still quick when I got rid of it (top 3 pace at SuperNats). Frame protectors on the bottom so it looked new underneath basically. I swapped to a new '18 and it felt exactly the same and went the same speed the weekend I switched over.

2 Likes

yes, but you forgot about the engine rebuild prices, and any extra parts that will break, and will need replacing, for example, brake pads.

So add about an extra $1,500

So would the cost of first season be the same and then the second season closer to $4000-4500?

obviously if you count the kart price in the first season, it wont be the same price as the second season.

I would say around $7k-$8k for the first season including the kart, and around $3k-$4k depending on the amount of use, engine rebuild prices and times, etc.

yeah i was thinking similar numbers as you mentioned, right now I’m going to be racing lo206, but I wanted to know the approximate costs of x30 or rok when I move up, just so I had an idea.

Where are the best places to rebuild an engine? Would I send my rebuild to a local shop or ship it to a reputable track? Or could I just do it myself? And what should the prices be around for a rebuild so I know if the guy is asking for too much?

There’s the overhaul manual. Best thing to do is flick through and get an idea if you have / are willing to get the equipment and tooling needed…and have the technical savviness to do it yourself.

Ok so looking at the manual I certainly believe I can do it. What spare parts should I have in case I need to do repairs? Also, for engine rebuilds, what should I replace? Crankshaft bearings, pistons? And around how much approximately will the spare parts cost as a whole? And will I be able to be competitive in like club or regional without switching the tires and parts and rebuilding the engine every weekend?

As you can see with me, budgeting is a common theme xD

The hardest thing about doing it yourself is the cost of the special tools they have to do the rebuild. As far as engine builders, there are several good ones out there. Depending on where you live might also dictate who you would want to send it to.