Watch Video and Critique

Yes, KA on MG Reds vs. X30 on MG Yellows have very similar braking points.

Threshold braking = braking at the very limit, just before locking up, so you’re getting maximum stopping traction. The tires should just chirp slightly.

Trail braking = carrying braking application into the turn-in point of the corner, sometimes up until apex.

So you’re seeing me do both. I brake hard and get the kart slowed down quickly, but I’m braking at the maximum latest point so I’m carrying a little brake to the apex usually. This means there is minimal coasting, and I’m almost instantly back to the throttle as soon a I come off the brake. Some drivers don’t trail brake as much, and they get the kart slowed down a little sooner and are able to get on the gas a little sooner. I’ve found that because of my height, trail braking helps me load the kart onto it’s nose a bit better, and transfers the weight better since I don’t have a high center of gravity. A taller driver might not be able to get away with trail braking because they’ll overload the kart with their higher center of gravity.

1 Like

Did you ever have to worry about too much grip for the mg reds? Being that the tires have less grip, should I run more caster in the kart?

The Reds aren’t that hard, they still can bind the kart up.

And not necessarily. You should run whatever amount of caster makes the kart work properly. I always tell people, you can’t tune the kart at home.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! Are you racing this year? Otk baseline is neutral all the way around correct? Seat at 62,62.5, and level with bottom of the frame? Bar flat, N short or N long?

Video from Sunday"s final- Hot and Grippy unlike the rest of the weekend.
H axle 54 and 3 quarter and neutral-tillett t11 vg
We through a hail marry at the kart
Took a seat strut off brake side
Widened rear end to 55
Add a little positive camber and Caster-1 click on bottom

Any race craft, diving or setup critique is appreciated !!!
Part 1

Part 2