(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Yea, I bumped it up to 4k from 2k this go around and while it looks great on playback of the original file once exported. The results on YouTube are underwhelming.
Even my thumbnail photo looks terrible.

4k playback. Sky and track :face_vomiting:

May have found my issue. Bit rate was turned way down, 5Mbps. Re-exporting now with Youtubeā€™s preferred bit rate (35-45Mbps) for 4k footage.

If you can, the best is to never encode before uploading, let youtube do its thing

Interesting. I just normally do the H.264, which I think is kinda standard. Maybe the footage is getting squished twice? :man_shrugging:

Exactly what is happening. Just upload the raw footage, or if you have some edits, just do lossless encoding (max bitrate possible)

Thanks. Iā€™ll give that a shot. Video editing is not my area of expertise. Just know enough to cut up the footage, do simple transitions, and export.

Yeah it seems that when you import a video into an editor like racerender or hitfilm it compresses the video. Then, when you upload to YouTube, it compresses it again.

The video is swapped out above. Looks way better!

Is anyone a master at thumbnails that can tell me why itā€™s coming out terrible?

Funny, all it took was a little pressure from behind to get me going back up to pace again.

Boo, Facebook login required. :smiling_face_with_tear:
Iā€™m too young to Facebook, being under 90.

1 Like

Had a great race up at Sumas International Motorsports Academy this past week. Managed P2 overall in 4-stroke light and P1 in World Formula. Felt like I was finally driving well but would love any critiques. My first two laps werenā€™t great but then I settled into a groove.

2 Likes

Dave, congrats on a great weekend. Overall your driving looked good to me. The one thing I noticed is that after the guy passed you, you seemed to start turning into many corners a little bit early, but it was not like you were feigning a pass attempt.

Iā€™m not saying this is necessarily a bad thingā€¦ it can be an effective way of managing rotation forces to keep the kart from rotating too aggressively at the apex. However, since low-power karts tend to maybe have more rubber than they need, avoiding scrub seems like it should be a top priority, so that would dictate using all of the track, and driving ā€˜rounderā€™ lines, as long as the round line does not cause you to travel too much extra distance.

Anyway, back to your driving. So, in the first few laps after you were passed, one place you were driving ā€˜round linesā€™ was that high-speed right/left combo that lead onto a short straight and then a 90 degree or so left. There you were ā€˜letting is flowā€™ and would catch the leader as you approached the braking area for the left-hand turn, but he would stretch away for the rest of the lap. Once he had pulled out a pretty good gap on you, then I noticed that you seemed to significantly reduce or stop the early turn-ins.

Anyway, thatā€™s just an observation, and something to think aboutā€¦ it could just as easily be something related to kart setup.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry. It was another driverā€™s post and I thought it would embed like it does from Youtube. :slightly_frowning_face:

@CasualCoroner
Itā€™s subtle but you seem ā€œbetterā€ alone/being chased than when chasing. You seem more likely to get narrow when chasing, perhaps due to desire/impatience getting in the way of your natural chill/use the width approach.

Are you looking at the guy ahead too much, maybe? Could that be subconsciously initiating early turn in because you are reacting to cues from kart ahead? Can you turn him into a blob that exists in your periphery as opposed to something you are trying to catch?

ā€œIt was not like you were feigning a pass attemptā€ā€¦ itā€™s kind of like TJs window shopping but without the intent. It seems like itā€™s subconscious.

Iā€™m struggling to watch this on the train, cell signal wise. Iā€™ll look again tonight with better bandwidth and see if Iā€™m talking out my ass or not.

From my one watch, the sense I got was you drive well and calmly, getting down to your apexes well and putting down power well. Iā€™d like to be able to point at specific moments where you drive less efficiently due to chasing.

1 Like

Any advice from KP?

Heat: went well probably some of my better racing and breaking into the front runner pack.

Final: Turn one mistake turned into catch up for the rest of the race and definitely was over driving which cost me majorly.

Mike,
I like what i see and seems like you have the right idea. Show us some race footage when you can so I can get a sense of how your racecraft looks.

Generally you appear to let the revs build well, brake short/firm, patient on power/rotation.

The bit where you were behind 44 was curious in trust you repeatedly lifted, waiting until you had an easy pass. Iā€™m guessing this is because it was a practice session and you didnā€™t want to put unnecessary pressure on him. But, it does make me wonder what your comfort level in traffic is like.

Maybe you can be our next Oliver.

You just turn the wheel way too much. That one corner looks brutally rough, but even in the smooth corners there is a lot of wheel sawing. Try moving your hands up on the wheel so you have less leverage and are less likely to crank the wheel back and forth. Absolutely kills your momentum in a 206.

Good battling though.

Heat race was hotly contested! Looked like a fun one. I got the sense that you were being conservative and careful. There were a number of moments where other participants were getting sloppy and you managed those situations pretty well, defensively. You did have one issue getting wide in the chicane but held onto the spot. You had a send pass where you were trying to shut out the challenger that worked, but cost you on exit, which almost allowed him to get past. overall looked pretty good, but maybe a bit conservative on a couple occasions.

Whatā€™s your takeaway?

Finals: bonk at beginning worked out well in that his front end pointed you back in the correct direction. :grinning:

You got a bit stuck behind some guys and it ultimately cost you. Iā€™m guessing as you race more youā€™ll tighten up to these fellas and start moving them along more, being a little bit less defensive and more assertive/aggressive. There were situations where you found yourself compromised by their lines. Me, Iā€™d advocate a bit more nose to bumper etc. (but I could be wrong). I just felt like you were capable of better momentum but was being frustrated by slower karts and struggling to get by cleanly.

Regarding the chicane that everyone seems to go wide at least once inā€¦

Thereā€™s a giant bump on entry. Once or twice it seems to want to throw you off track. But, there was a couple times where it seemed to be much much gentler on your kart.

Have you messed about with that bump and how the various approaches to it affect the run out? It seems that folks going wide between these two turns is usually due to them getting sent by the bump and then over-inputing.