What's one thing you know now, you wish you knew when you started Karting?

Without exception, my best races are not wins. :grinning: I do mean that the “winning” part is not generally what seems to make one happy. It’s the drive that got you across the line and it’s always been the battles I remember, not the final position.

2 Likes

+20 points to TJ. Totally agreed.
I struggle with this sometimes, because I can get really competitive. I have to remind myself that the point is to have fun and get the most out of myself, rather than just getting the trophy.

Wow, so many things i wish i did back in the past!

When i was a kid, until I was 18, I was really, really shy. So i never asked for a help on older experienced drivers. When I was 11 years old , my dad had a autosport team with two cars, driven by Bas Lammers and Nelson vd Pol, two very big names in karting. I was just too shy to ask for advice or help from these two.

My dad also hated training in the rain, and since I was to shy and just followed whatever he was doing, i just didnt drive.

One thing that cost me at least 2 championships was my all or nothing approach. I always was a aggresive driver, but I lost my head just too much. That resulted in many collisions, crashes that could eassily been avoided.

I think networking in karting/racing is very important to surround people who will believe in you, even when you are a kid. But its difficult, as a kid you cant just force your parents to spend thousends of euros on your hobby, if it isnt there.

2 Likes