When the kart gets “tight”

I had one for a while as well. Eventually I was back in normal seats. I mentioned the “tall” version in that those at least go up a bit higher if you have a long torso. My rib problems were from seat edge being dead center of ribs. Tall helps.

1 Like

Perpendicular cuts on the lip on the sides of the seat will help it flex. Try running the seat loose too and see if that helps free it up.

1 Like

Theoretical/Thinking question: Can someone help me understand how seat stiffness effects handling so greatly in a kart. I would never argue that it doesnt, because I know it does. But it always amazes me that a fiberglass stiffness can have an effect on how a metal kart frame handles.

I think it is because the seat fills a giant hole in the chassis and connects the chassis together at several points - the seat struts to each other side to side and front to back.

Cool will try this and see how it goes.

Sure, but the metal cross tubes are much stiffer.

1 Like

It’s a major medium for load transfer, and also presents a spring rate variable via different rigidities.

Don’t ask me for any more depth than that, as I’ve exhausted all my smarts for that answer lol

2 Likes

I’d argue that the seat matters, go play in rentals sometime. Rigidity and size matters in terms of how the body weight and the kart play together. Rentals tend to have no flex and tend to be too big anyways. I can always tell when I get into a proper kart because it feels different, more subtle, less brick.

If you’ve ever tried to grab and flex a “soft” seat vs. a “stiff” seat, there is a big difference in how much you can physically twist a seat with your hands. Then extrapolate that out to how much force the kart generates with g-forces and there can be a big difference in how much the seat actually flexes.

The seat works in conjunction with the floppy piece of meat in the seat too. Lot of weight being thrown around in the seat, which is directly tied to the outer frame rails (usually).