Wish I found karting earlier

Nobody wants to see me in my underpants man :joy::joy:

It’s all good. I’m from western Kentucky. I’ll be running at the gateway kartplex in St. Louis since that’s the closest place

Yeah. This was in the 80s so a while ago. The young me didn’t know that Gatorade would expedite the process of dehydration. At the time it must have been loaded with sugar and must not have had much in the way of electrolytes etc. we have better choices now.

To the OP, welcome to the sport and the beginning of your financial drain. I wish I had found karting earlier as well, but am enjoying it plenty now.

On the current topic, watch for sugar even in those hydration supplements as many have sugar just like Gatorade. I’ve had pretty good success with Nuun tablets, you just have to get used to the salty taste. Even within the Nuun brand you’ll find some of them have much more artificial sweetener so always pay attention to the ingredients.

1 Like

As a cyclist in addition to kart racing, I use and recommend Skratch Labs Sports Hydration mix to drink during a day of intense endurance activities including racing karts. This product was developed by a pro bike team doctor for his team to use in the Tour de France among other races many years ago and is becoming a standard in endurance sports. It’s much lower in sugar than Gatorade and doesn’t gunk your water bottles like Gatorade.

@Bikerduud I just ordered some of this to try at my enduro coming up. Thanks for the suggestion.

@GregF Turns out what I used last time is the one @tjkoyen mentioned:

Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier - Lemon Lime - Hydration Powder Packets | Electrolyte Supplement Drink Mix | Low Sugar | Easy Open Single-Serving Stick | Non-GMO (Lemon Lime/16 Count) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IT9NLHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3EEZKYZNKMN78RKPTFW4

I’m sure some of the track ladies do…

I’ve been rocking these Shorts (keep an eye out for sales).

They are lined and wick very well

I started at about the same age. I was 32 when I started 22 years ago. I knew the day I walked into the track that it was where I was meant to be. I have been racing cars or karts since

1 Like

32 is too old to find the sport?

I found it for the first time at the age of 40. Bengay and Motrin are my friends, and I’m probably on the younger side of locals at my track . . . :rofl:

I was 14 when I discovered it. Still too long to wait to find out about it.

Ooh. Nick was 10 so I was 44 or 45. It hurt a bunch. But I got fit and skinny. Curiously, even though I no longer really work out, Karting allowed me to get into pretty good shape in middle age, while having fun (as opposed to Jogging or deliberate exercise, although that was my drill first couple years.). Lost a ton of weight too. Nothing like having skinny teenagers to compete against to promote rapid weight loss.

3 Likes

I’m almost 70 and race 100cc TaG Masters, it’s a perfect fit for me, fast enough, lots of competition and I’m not thoroughly exhausted at the end. Raced shifter and 125 TaG in my late 60s but now it’s too difficult cardio-wise.

So this works for an old man. My racing day diet consists continuously eating small portions of water, a mix of Gatorade with protein powder, bite sized chunks of steak from the night before, banana, hard boiled egg and an apple. I found that the chunks of steak work better than any other meat. Steak tends to be more fatty, for short term energy and has tons of protein, for long term energy and it’s natural. Also, it tends to go down easier on a hot day in SoCal (100F) than chicken or turkey. I think that eating small portions, all day is better than eating one large meal at the track. So on race day, I’m either driving, working on the kart or eating and napping!

I also do Crossfit 4 or 5 times per week to stay in reasonable cardio condition.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m 62 and just getting started! Most of the people I see at my local track (Prairie City OHV & Kart Track) are either my age, or kids age 5 to 12! So, kids (with dad or grand dad), and retired guys! Really looking forward to getting my kart soon, thanks to the blessing of my wonderful wife! :grin: :+1:

3 Likes