2008 CRG vs 2016 CRG KT2

Hey all, new member here. I have a 2008? CRG and I have an opportunity to upgrade to a 2016 KT2

I wanted to know what upgrades you are all aware of between the two, trying to decide if it’s worth the hassle. I assume one advantage is availability of parts. What performance upgrades happened between the two?

Thanks!
Adam

Depends on what 2008 CRG you have and what engine you are running. The answer may be absolutely or not at all depending on both.

Gotcha. The kart in the first photo is lacking a homologation plate so I’m not sure exactly what model, hoping someone can identify.
Will be running LO206
Thanks

I would skip out on both for 206… IMHO plenty of better karts available and usually pretty inexpensive.

The first one looks pre-2008 based on the four position pils, bodywork, and 40mm axle.

1 Like

Any recommendations? Would be getting a very good deal on the KT2 so seems worth it to upgrade especially if the other is even older than I thought

Do you have reason to believe that the current chassis is limiting your performance? If so, and if the newer one is a great deal, then I say go for it. But if you’re not at the top of your game driving wise, then a newer chassis may not get you any closer to the pointy end of the field.

Those older CRG’s are built like tanks, so I wouldn’t worry about it being worn out.

1 Like

Solid point, my reasoning is mostly availability of parts for newer models and I assumed better resale and longevity. But good to know that the older models are solid. Thanks

1 Like

@apdh a belated “welcome” to the boards.

1 Like

Adam – I do not know if the CRG KT2 from 2016 is the same as the one from 2020, but I bought one that year and it’s the best chassis I’ve ever owned or driven. I’m now using a VLR 100 engine and the chassis is lively and responsive. My original kart was a CRG Road Rebel with 32/32 tubing. Went to a Zanardi 32/32, then another CRG 32/32, and finally (before the KT2 at 30/30) a Zanardi 30/32. Probably all were too stiff for the Rotax engines I was using. Now with less horsepower and a slightly lower weight class, the CRG KT2 is crisp and lively. It may well be an excellent choice for a 206 as well.

2 Likes

Went for it and sold the 2008, got the 2016 KT2 today and it looks way more advanced. Very excited to get it ready for the track. Pic has the front bumper taken off, but scored the stand, backup plastics and wheels/tires.

2 Likes

I’m curious about the 2002 that seems to be wearing original paint…

1 Like

Ooooh a 2002 beemer, one of my faves

2 Likes

The 2016 KT2 in its current state, set up for LO206 racing at AMP.

4 Likes