2022 budget choices

EDIT- Sorry about the manifesto length… once I get started talking about racing it’s hard to stop. :roll_eyes:

Try not to worry too much about ‘results’ because you only have partial control over how any race will go.
It’s pace relative to the winner on any given day that is important. So, my question is how long did it take
you to get to your current pace. For example, did you hop in the kart and boom, you were running the times you run now, or did it take a couple of weekends, or half the season, or ?

Were you able to consolidate these experiences and make them a consistent part of your driving?

I’m asking YOU! :wink: The “it takes a decent amount of time for me…” observation is a thread that is begging to be pulled.
Elias, you are clearly a very intelligent and analytical young man, but you can only go so far calculating your way around the track. Your feelings (what you feel when driving) contains the information you need to advance, but often, very intellectual people are distrustful of such ‘feelings’ because they can’t be understood or quantified.

Driving, at it’s essence, is a game of two things: Information Processing, and Energy Management.
Intellect can influence many things like:

• Your plan for getting around each turn
  • What sensations you pay attention to, when, and to what depth
  • How you correlate ‘feelings’ to meaning; e.g. this sensation = not quite at the limit, but THIS sensation = heading over the limit.

However, intellect cannot function in the hear & now with the type of bandwidth needed to gather the huge amount of data from a moment on track, distill that data into useful ‘information’, and interpret what that information means relative to your objectives for that particular location on the track.

Anyway, the point is, to be a really good driver, you must plan with your intellect, and use it to manage (or be the conductor of) the driving process, but the actual ‘driving’ must be done with your feelings or heart, or whatever you want to call it. If you can’t feel ‘it’, or what you are feeling is incomprehensible to you, or has a negative association, then that is your limiting factor for performance.

The good news is that if you understand the driving process, then you can pull the threads your sensations/feelings/experience provide, and you can start to understand what’s happening, and then you can use your intellect for what it excels at… reprogramming your driving process.

Back to the actual issue “it takes a decent amount of time for me…”; if this were my situation I would approach it something like this:

1. I would recognize, and acknowledge internally, that this is a big issue that I must/will fix. (This calls the various board of director roles in your head together and lets them know “This is IMPORTANT to me, so FIX IT NOW!”)
  2. How do you fix it? Find out what’s going on… what changes over the course of a weekend… ask your feelings.
  • Does my mental model of the track decay between races… do I forget where the track goes and what I should be feeling? If so, imagery training… drive laps in your head with a stopwatch. Train this way until you can turn laps within a second of your real lap times.
  • Do I feel overwhelmed when driving at the beginning of weekends, and gradually mentally settle into the ‘rhythm’ of driving over the weekend?
  • Is my resolution of feel for forces and traction lower than at the end of the previous race weekend, and if so, is it lower in breadth, depth, or both?
  • Do I start the weekend with low confidence, or questioning my ability, or other negative thoughts?
  • And so on…
  1. This is getting so long, I have to stop here, but basically, whatever you discover (whatever feels like it is the problem, or the biggest contributer) from step 2, you work on fixing. The fix can be as easy as mental laps with a stopwatch, or mentally recognizing and editing negative self talk, to something that requires a bit more work.

This is actually something intellect is really good at, and is a really good exercise in getting your intellect and feeling/hear to work together. For example, let’s say you notice you are consistently turning in early for a particular turn. Before you can fix it, you have to understand why… is it a plan problem, a data processing problem, or a physical driving/energy management problem. Once you know what needs to be changed, and you know how the wrong version felt, then just use your intellect to ‘calculate’, and your ‘feelings’ to simulate, what you would feel if you made the change and drove the way you want.

For, example, let’s say you thought you were turning at the correct point, but after reviewing the video, you now you think it would be better to turn 4’ later, so things you would need to consider for your calculated simulation would be:

1. Do I need to brake a bit later to have the same energy/speed at my new turn-in point. If so, ask your feelings, how will that feel… what will feel different?
  2. If I’m turning later (and aiming for the same apex), then how will that influence how loads will build on the outside front tire, and how will that influence lift of the inside rear tire.
  3. How will the change in tire loadings influence the kart’s yaw rotation location and intensity… will I also need to adjust when and/or how hard I get on the throttle to check the rotation.
  4. And, how will all the previous changes influence my line/trajectory through the exit phase of the turn.

Once your intellect and feelings have worked together to mock-up the change you want to make, then you just close your eyes and imagine it… ask your intellect to ‘roll’ the simulation and your feelings to let you experience it. I know that sounds crazy or dumb, but that’s just how it works for me… it really is just that easy.

3 Likes

I’ll send Tim an email. Do you think I could acclimate to x30 in a long practice day?
I really appreciate that offer. I’ll keep you updated on my plans.

Club motorsports in NH

I’ll go through all my videos again and take notes on mistakes and things I did well. I can look at my data more, maybe I can try and sing it with videos to see if there’s something visual I did

What class at OVRP would you recommend?

My average finishing position is basically a flat line from when I started. Although, the fields have gotten larger, and arguably harder.
The closest I ever got lap time wise to the fastest was in my first race actually.

No worries! It’s helpful

Hard to tell honestly. I was decent out of the gate

For the most part I believe

Yeah that’s kinda what’s hard to me about karting. Especially as someone who’s played sports with easily quantifiable stats.

So in order to communicate my “feeling” maybe I can record my thoughts and feelings of one of my races? @tjkoyen how do you do this for your video analysis?

I’ve been a lot more aggressive and pushy in practice and qualifying. It’s helped a little bit, as my qualifying results have gotten better

Honestly not too much. I have a decent amount of mental notes on when I do what and what I feel when.

Maybe I don’t have enough inputs from the kart. I don’t feel all the things you mention.

Not usually. But not high confidence

I really appreciate your time and help. I’ll look over and ponder these questions and put them to practice.

There have been times when I look at a video and realize, wow I’m turning in much earlier than I thought, or wow, I’m getting in the gas later than I thought.

I wouldn’t call it easy… but I wouldn’t call it dumb. I think what will be hard for me is I have a lack of inputs from the kart compared to more experienced drivers, so my “simulations” may be a bit more basic.

Again, thank you. I really appreciate your advice and experience.

I’d recommend you keep running World Formula. There’s some pretty good competition in our class and you can’t beat seat time if you want to keep improving.

Is not running a tent program an option? You may get more seat time that way. I think you’ve seen how I travel to the track. A trailer makes life a lot easier but it doesn’t make you any faster once on track. Plus you may learn a lot more about driving your kart fast by setting it up yourself.

I would not discount the mental recommendations. This year I focused on my approach to raceday. Finding the right balance between having fun, being competitive. With our limited practice I was mentally tying to prepare so I could jump right in and ready to go by being in a rhythm on lap 1.

I love the idea of the mental laps from with a stopwatch. Usually when I’m trying to sleep but can’t I just run laps in my head. Video is crucial as well. What felt different and what’d you do different on your fastest laps? I actually learned Canaan and Loudon before my first time racing at each by watching some of your film.

If you’re looking for different racing then I recommend picking up a 206. Cup Karts is a great Midwest series with highly competitive fields. Will give you a new challenge yet a sense of familiarity by sticking with 4 cycle. I’m considering getting a 206 myself for the spring nationals at Charlotte in may. The 206 isn’t that far off from a world formula on tracks with shorter straights.

What’s up Kyle!
You’re one of the few drivers in WF that have raced in other series’ so the fact that you say it’s competitive is nice to hear.
As an 18 YO who’s location next year is uncertain, it’s not too smart for me to go at it solo. Plus, there are a bunch of one time costs that I can’t afford. In hindsight, I really wish I went about starting karting differently.

At the start of the day I generally feel like I’m more just driving around the track, not using all the space, and not near the limit. Maybe mental laps will get me to my competitive pace early on. I’ll post some of my qualifying videos to show how poorly I do in the morning
Sometimes a lap just feels put together. All the turns feel more like a smooth carve, I get on the gas early, engine doesn’t bog, etc.
at NHMS I can toss it up at the front, but Canaan is beyond me. Got my first podium there but that’s it. And than when we do the full track I’m just getting walked.
All though my purple leconts probably were the cause of my crap pace in the rain.

So here’s my current plan I guess:
Sim race, review videos and data
Try out mental practices
Run a couple NHKA races
Go out to OVRP to put some laps in
Do one more NHKA race
Cry that X1 is gone because it would be the solution to all my problems

Biggest logistical problem for me is I don’t own my chassis. Financially it would’ve been so much smarter to buy it but the choice was not mine.

@speedcraft
Here’s a voiceover of a “recent” race. Since it’s been a long time since I was in the kart I can’t exactly say what I’m looking for in the kart, but I did my best to remember

Elias, what is your theoretical best composite lap time vs best rolling
lap time?

1 Like

I would disagree. I got multiple weekends out of a set of tires in KA100. For a club, I could probably get 3 or 4 races out of a set of tires. Over a season, that’s only 4 or 5 sets in a 16 race club championship.

Sounds like consistency and getting up to speed is a problem right now. The best remedy for that is seat time. I always practice the day before a club race, even 4 or 5 sessions on Saturday can be worth a lot. If you want to get into specifics, take a couple session to set a lap time then come in, let the tires cool off, and try to match that time in 3 or 5 laps, depending on your qualifying format.

I agree with TJ that running only at a club will result in an early plateau that’s hard to overcome. Running regionally will teach you a lot and give you a stronger mentality at club events. I would recommend finding a class you can run at the club and regionally, which I would assume is either 206 or 100cc (KA or VLR), and run that. I’ve said before you can run 100cc pretty cheap and still have effective results.

You’re thinking too physically. Karting isn’t a physical competition, it’s mental. It’s the combination of knowledge, resilience, and application. Sure, there’s a physical aspect to it that should not be ignored, but mental fortitude is by far the strongest characteristic in a driver. My driver at Daytona was top 5 in Micro and top 10 in 206 Cadet, but he had never run nationally before, so he psyched himself out when I’m sure he could’ve finished top 10 at least in both classes.

Pushing yourself in karting is breaking through mental roadblocks; pushing braking deeper into a corner, learning how to get to the limit of braking force, getting on the gas earlier than you think you can, driving harder into a corner to make a pass, maintaining composure in a battle and deciding whether to fight back now or play the long game and set up for a pass at the end of the race (there are times for each option that are better and worse).

If you’re pushing yourself in a kart, you should be dropping tires and going off track pretty consistently. I went to Ocala for the first time for USPKS last year, and was dropping tires or going off track at every corner at some point. I tried taking turn 1 flat out on the last lap of the first session just to see if I could do it, and yard-saled a brand new chassis through the ditch. That’s pushing yourself in a kart to find your limits. I tell my drivers that every practice session they should be at least halfway off the track at least once, figuring out where their current limits are. This is also something you should be constantly revisiting. Just because you found your limit on a corner one weekend doesn’t mean 3 races later you have the same limit. You may be able to go 5 feet deeper under braking or carry a couple more MPH apex speed without realizing it unless you try.

I would recommend 2 things here. 1) Read up on this forum to try to understand what tuning a kart really does. TJ has plenty of good explanations about how to tune, how you’re never “adding grip” but instead changing the way the kart jacks and flexes through a corner to unload the inside rear. Take notes to bring to the track if you need to, and feel free to ask any questions. 2) Go mess around with setup on a practice day. Change axles just to see what would happen, go from full caster to minimum caster in back to back sessions and see what it feels like. You’ll have a standard baseline setup to start with, but knowing how to adjust the kart for what it needs starts with knowing how different changes affect the kart.

For $1,500, KA is out of the question if you don’t already have one. Just getting the engine would blow through your budget for the year. I think the best route for you may be to get a 206, if you can, and get as much seat time as you can for your yearly budget. Stars Championship Series is running at NJMP this year, so going out there to run that event, which DRT does go to with Arturo Tames and Scottie Grenier, will help a lot. There are fast drivers that you’ll be able to really compare yourself with, and you’ll learn a ton. If they have time, just talk to Scottie about the kart. He knows a ton and you’ll learn more than you thought there would be to learn from him. You’ll see improvement at the club races even from just one race at higher competition.

I will say I’m a little surprised at $1,500 only getting 3 or 4 club races. I could do 6 in KA on that budget, albeit without any other racing, so I figured a World Formula would go a lot further on that money but I’m not familiar with the prices of New Hampshire karting.

This! If you’re not searching for the limit you’re never going to find it! Eventually you’ll calibrate to what that limit is, and you’ll be able to learn a new track without dumping it in every corner, but the point here is that you can’t be afraid to push and make mistakes in order to find gains.

Any specific race? My composites tend to be .2 off the fastest lap roughly
Is there an easy way to figure that out with data?

The problem with a lot of what you said is, there aren’t practice days. Closest place I can practice at is a 6 hour drive. It’s race day, and that’s it. So I have to spend my 5 minute practice making sure I can be competent, rather than experimenting.
Some of my biggest tuning breakthroughs have been going out in the dry on a wet setup. Really helped me understand what things do.
I have a hard time communicating with Arturo. He doesn’t talk much.
A race for me with renting the chassis and entrance fee is about $400 +gas. Not buying a kart from the start was a terrible choice, but it wasn’t my choice.
I’ve heard good things from Scott, hopefully I can make it out to a race that he’s tuning at.

1 Like

Ah, I see where the difficulties lie now.

I guess two further questions for you then: do you have any money to get a chassis yourself, or is $1,500 all you have? And where are you looking at going to school, and for what?

It’s the budget I set for myself. I make good money as a server but most of it is being saved.
I’m applying to colleges everywhere. California, Georgia, Indiana, MA, Michigan, Colorado, Virginia
I want to major in mechanical or aerospace engineering (depending on the college) and minor in business administration

Okay, well I’m not going to tell you to blow your savings on a kart right before you move off to college, but owning a chassis will reduce your overall running costs by a lot.

Looking at those colleges, I know California and Indiana will have some good karting availability, I’m not sure about the quality of competition in Michigan, Colorado, Massachusetts, or Virginia (I think Colorado is doing decent?). If you want Engineering and Business, you could consider Wisconsin as well, Madison and UWM are good schools and both near my home track of Badger Kart Club/Wolf Paving Raceway, and that club has usually been pretty strong in 206 and KA.

I would’ve bought a chassis when I started if my parents let me. I have no idea what college holds in store for me regarding karting, so I’m not really picking a college based on its karting scene, although it is a factor. I am heavily weighing whether or not they have an FSAE team in my decisions though.

Seems like a sensible approach to college selection!

Great job on the voice-over video. It seems like you have a very good grasp of your strengths and weaknesses. Also you seem to have a pretty good level of empirical knowledge or feel for what’s going on, but I’m not sure you’re giving yourself full credit for that. For example, the right-left turn where you say you like to keep steering right longer than the other guys. That’s a great example of you empirically/unconsciously knowing how energy movement/flow influences tire loading, and by knowing that (even on an unconscious level) you are able to put that knowledge to work to help you turn your kart efficiently.

I think you actually have more inputs from the kart than you realize… the problem is they are in ‘feel’ or ‘motion’ language, and your intellect does not natively speak feel, so you need to add a ‘translation’ step in there. For example, you may have a general feel for traction, but if you adjust how you gather and process sensory information, then you will be able to process the next level up of feel, which is high-resolution slip angles. Once you can do that, then you can start telling your intellect “this feeling here = 5 degrees of slip angle on the front tire”… that is something your intellect can understand. Eventually you build a translation database, so your intellect can ride along quantifying slip angle levels (and anticipating slip angle peaks), based on what you are feeling.

Anyway, I’ve got more to say about how to access the higher levels of feel, but it will be much easier if I can make a visual. However, to do that, I have to learn Blender 3D so it may take me a week +/- to get back to you.

In the mean time; start your training with that double right hander that was giving your trouble. Watch the whole video, but mentally drive through that turn while you are watching. By mentally drive, I mean FEEL what you would be feeling on the various lines you were driving each lap. Lean forward the way the forces would be working on your body when you brake, feel your body being pushed to the outside by the centripetal force…feel the kart dancing under you if it would be unstable at a certain point in the turn. Trust me, it is all in there, but it’s stored in ‘feel’ language, just tell your intellect to shut up, hand your inner driver control of your body, and say “go ahead, show me how this line or this lap felt”.

2 Likes