2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

So did Binotto just go home on lap 58 or what was that?

1 Like

He did, straight up rage quit

I only caught bits of it, I’ll watch it through tomorrow. I assume Ferrari dropped the ball again, the memes coming out are hilarious. I think this is my fav

Ferrari, we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Strategy by magic ball.

1 Like

Interesting call. I think it’s obvious that Otmar didn’t gel with Alonso well, and Alpine continues to be an “all-talk-no-wins” team.

Aston will be a lateral move after their investments start to bear fruit.

This might open a wider path for Sargeant now, as Piastri will likely get the alpine call up instead of Williams. Latifi will be out and Albon and Sargeant seems like a solid pair and a nice return for an American driver to the grid.

1 Like

I’m really iffy on the future success of Aston, but hopefully Alonso sees something I don’t. I think Alpine are the team more on the upward trend at the moment.

See? It’s all bull crap.

I generally don’t have a lot of respect for Alpine because of the way they manage their team and their lack of results, so I think it it’s massively hilarious to see them lose their 2-time World Champ and possibly their hugely hyped junior prospect in two days.

Part of me wonders if Alonso thrives on wild contract negotiations and big surprise team switches as much as he does on winning races.

If Piastri is really off to McLaren, that adds another complication to the Palou contract in INDYCAR because clearly he’s not getting an F1 seat with them anytime soon. Same with Herta and O’Ward.

And it would mean Ricciardo is… back to Alpine. :man_facepalming:t2:

Musical chairs has kicked off in a big way, and it’s fun to watch INDYCAR cross-pollinating the driver market too. Summer break should be exciting for once.

1 Like

Ah yes, the alpine lineup; Ocon, and Esteban Ocon

1 Like

So now it seems official.

No quote from Piastri?

1 Like

Alpine trying to force his hand? Imagine if later today McLaren also announce Piastri. This seems like the Palou situation all over again.

I do love me some F1 silly season chaos

1 Like

This is awesome.

Same situation as Palou/Ganassi.

It’s wild that he says “I will not being driving for Alpine next year.” That seems pretty cut and dried.

Drama Popcorn GIF by Alexander IRL

Pato is all of us:

And Marcus has some hot takes:

2 Likes

Piastri to Mclaren, not really any other place to go. I agree with Peter Windsor this time…

Unbelievably strange. I would like to know why Ganassi and Alpine have played the same strategy of announcing a driver publicly, only to be rebuked publicly by said driver. In both cases they knew what they were doing and the repercussions. Maybe someone who knows more about contract law can reveal the potential games being played here.

Why are these teams such assholes constantly? Isn’t the world full of enough bullshit without faux disrespect? This makes these teams look they are trying to win the race to the bottom.

F1 has serious middle school vibes, socially. This isn’t silly, it’s disrespectful and ugly.