2022 USPKS Round 1 @ Orlando Official Discussion Thread

Man this is exciting. GO TEAM KARTPULSE!!!

1 Like

didn’t relly get roughed up but i had motor problems instead i lost lots of momentum on exits due to bogging

normally i would do that, like in x30 but in the ka with the motor problems i had to purposly straiten out the corner so i could get on the gass very early to compinsate for the bogging.

1 Like

I mastered the backward move to perfection. Fast on Thursday, progressively slower over the weekend.

1 Like

@Muskabeatz @Paul_Montopoli I hate to bring this up, but did you two run into each other at one point? Or have simultaneous shamozzles? :grimacing:

I thought I saw the two blue karts going slowly at the same time.

@Muskabeatz was copying me all weekend. :slight_smile:

My gear protector did the ultimate protection and jumped between the gear and the chain.

@Muskabeatz stopped in the same turn with a battery issue. At least it was easy to lift my kart with 59 lbs of lead on it with Evan’s help. We were first across the scales and back to the tent.

Ah, bummer!

Fun story, but not as much drama as I had hoped!

Thankfully we didn’t bin each other lol…my battery clamps failed from smoking curbs all weekend, and the whole battery assembly was dragging underneath the kart. Made for poor handling and eventually the wires severed, which lead my to the “team rendezvous point” :joy:

An unfortunate ending…

1 Like

On the 2 qualifying sessions on Friday. One vote against, no bueno. Friday is a a tire changing nightmare.

I voted for a 2 final weekend in the survey that USPKS sent out. I would change my vote to 1 quali, 3 heats, pre-final, and final.

I can imagine. That’s why they did Sunday’s quali first, to give you one less tire change to make. Still a bit of a thrash I’m sure though,

With 1 quali and 2 finals, you start both days from whatever position you quali?

1 final like SuperNats or Rok – quali to 3 heats to pre-final to final. You can give points for heats and pre-final to make a disaster in the final less painful

Or keep 2 finals and make Sunday’s pre-final grid the average of the fastest laps or finishing position in Saturday’s pre-final and final. That would be fair.

You’d have to factor in an LCQ as well if you’re wanting to move to a single event format. Whether that’s 3 heats Saturday and an LCQ straight to a final on Sunday or 3 heats Saturday with pre-final, LCQ, and final on Sunday. I will agree that the two qualifying sessions on Friday is asking a lot, even with an hour and a half between sessions, if you have 3 or 4 drivers sharing a tire machine that doesn’t leave a lot of time for them to switch everything over. You’re essentially asking every driver to provide at least 3 sets of wheels to the event, which is a big ask for some privateers and lower budget operations when wheels are $400+ a set.

@olivier.p I noticed you went out just about every session Thursday and Friday on your own and never in traffic. I saw that as part of your struggles after qualifying, you got pressured in the races and never really got comfortable to get going and make passes yourself. I never let my drivers go out more than two sessions in the back for that reason; they have to be able to put down fast laps in traffic for the actual races. I’d rather sacrifice a couple tenths in practice to gain comfort in the actual race sessions.

Also, I’d be careful with trying to Euro drivers on track. I’m pretty strict with my drivers about contact in races, if they hit someone I expect a good reason as to why once they get off. One of those reasons could be “he Euro’d me going down the straight,” and if that happens I tell them they have the go-ahead to barrier that driver if they feel it was bad enough. I saw you do that and got 2 wheels in the grass once as a result, a pretty tame reaction compared to some of the other options available.

Overall, I thought the weekend went pretty well. Only one flip, no red flags, my only real complaint was the distance to the grid from our pit space. The pits were a puzzle to get done and we got put way in the back, mildly annoying when we’re a series sponsor and we see every other sponsoring team at least half the distance we have to go, but I also understand how difficult the pit situation was for this past weekend.

I do think the driving standards need to be cracked down on by officiating more still. I saw a lot of dirty driving out there, although my driver did benefit from the leniency a little bit charging from the back to 13th on Saturday. Don’t even get me started on the Thursday practice incident.

Qualifying was fine for us because we did bring 3 sets of wheels, only had to change one set of tires on Friday. Happy Hour and Sunday qualifying sets were already done, so once we finished our Thursday/Friday morning set of tires, we had plenty of time to switch those wheels over to Saturday qualifying.

KC Broadcast looked really good. I liked the camera angles, I think the only difficulty was getting turn 9. It’s pretty far away and putting a camera near there separates the camera from every other part of the track. My girlfriend really liked the little kids guest commentating the Mini LCQ, I liked Connor Zillisch and Dante Yu during the X30 Senior LCQ on Sunday, they were pretty fun to have commentating.

3 Likes

If anyone ever Euro’s me, they get yard sale’d in the next corner if I’m anywhere near close enough. If not, you get it next time out, guaranteed. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll bite. What is “euro’ing”? Can you explain it in terms a midwestern 4 cycler would understand?

“euro’ing” is when you move on the straits and swerve the driver to scare them. (some people cause contact when doing it)

@tankyx is the term “Euroing” deserved? Farings being thrown notwithstanding, is it dirtier in Yurup?

From what I’ve seen, maybe we should call it “Giving them a Brazilian”.

theres some people who do it quite dirty in the us tho.

thats one of the mistakes we made it also didn’t help in all the practice sessions i was on some pretty used tires which made it harder to pass and that transferred over to me for the races.
the whole euro swerving thing was mainly out of desperation to try and scare some people to scavenge a position or two. it doesn’t work as well nationally as it does in club races altho i don’t remember putting 2 wheels off tho.

Well, I remember a kid trying to Euro you into T1 at Gopro in your normal races and it had zero effect on your decision to take that turn. Logically, if it didn’t faze Oliver, why would it phase a natl driver?

it dosent really affect national drivers i was just testing it out, also the kid your talking about did it when i already took the corner vs me who was doing it befor the corner

1 Like