2023 Indycar Season: Official Discussion Thread

It’s sure an exciting finish… lots of risky moves and a weird late hit.

Third time start charm?

Third time will happen with the red flag 3 to go wow. 2 to go once he crosses line in pits yes?

:man_facepalming:
Twenty characters

Shootout finish, don’t lift…

Any reason for Ericsson to not do what pato did and waste a lap by going too slow

They were never not going to green flag it. Whole thing felt a bit weird at the end there.

So they had a 2 lap run at the green, why wouldn’t Ericsson go too slowly at the green to make them do another lap, that way he would turn it into a 1 lap run

It was a 1 lap run to the checkered. They would’ve let that start go no matter what happened

It was a one lap run. There was only one outcome and that was we were getting a one lap shootout. Marcus could have gone 1mph and they were throwing the green. Very ‘show’ orientated, but Indy is very much geared towards that.

1 Like

Awesome finish, easily the best race today, although I could do without all the commercials.

Going into the crowd was a great move by Newgarden.

1 Like

Ahhhh I see what you’re saying. Yeah that makes sense

My DVR recorded F1 but not Indycar . . . :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Another great race and amazing crowd. I’ve come to accept that it’s all about the show in the end and they are going to make decisions to make the casual fans in the stands and on the TV happy more so than the ever dwindling array of grumpy old man traditionalists. That I may or may not be guilty of being associated with… :rofl:

I’ve have this happen a couple of times in the past. My cable provider is Comcast and I have all Indycar races set to be recorded. But Comcast doesn’t consider the 500 as an Indycar race and doesn’t automictically record it.

I must say that I again enjoy Indycar racing. Was once a big fan but in my opinion the level on competition dropped off for a long time. Over the past few years it seems to me that the level of competition has risen greatly. At one point, I would have recorded the 500 but wouldn’t have watched it. Enjoyed this year’s race.

I’m probably a “progressive traditionalist”, I’m glad they went green for the end. It should be a race to the line, although this one was a very short one.

2 Likes

As a racer I hate to finish a race under caution. I want to finish under green if I can.

It’s worth noting the big crowd is partly a product of the local TV blackout that Indy imposes to force people to go watch at the venue. It’s their prerogative but when I found out it did change my perception somewhat of the so-called big attendance. The greatest spectacle in motorsport has to ban locals from watching it live at home to force fans to buy tickets.

I live an hour west of IMS. My local station had the race but it was blacked out on Peacock which I thought was weird.