2023 Indycar Season: Official Discussion Thread

Awesome race on a great track. Lots of close racing with multiple leaders.
What more can you ask for?

1 Like
2 Likes

I just watched some of this. Man that was some rough racing.

Such a fun time. RA really is such a good venue. You can scoot around and watch from so many cool spots if you’ve got a bike or moped or something. And the place is massive so it isn’t crowded and there is parking everywhere.

We camped out and it was great. Nothing like waking up to the sound of cars warming up with a mild hangover. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

My wife, the kids and I spectated at the SCCA Runoffs at Indianapolis a few years ago - one of the guys I used to crew SCCA Nationals for was running so we went to watch. The safety crews there were on a whole different level from everywhere else I’ve been. Two safety trucks chased the field into turn one so that multiple car incidents in turn 1-2 were cleared before the pack came back around, avoiding a full course caution. Those guys have their poop in a group!

1 Like

As a kid our family often camped out at the track for a weekend of racing. I miss that a bit. My daughter would be up for it, but Wifey won’t have it. Maybe if it was in an RV. Unfortunately the Heat Index here is already up in the 110*F. Not very conducive to outdoor camping.

Who was it? I was there crewing for my Dad. He was running H-Prod in a Blue 1987 Civic Hatchback #69 (dirty old man number for sure!). :rofl:

1 Like

Ron Copeland (aka “Honda Ron”) is the guy I crewed for over the years. He ran first gen Honda CRXs as well under the Honda Ron Racing moniker. Ironically, he introduced me to my (now) wife many years ago. If you guys ran CRXs I’m pretty sure you at least came across Ron.

1 Like

Whoa a racing buddy and a wingman? Maybe I was wrong and there is romance to be found in racing.

Yep! I got a woman who thought the kids racing Quarter Midgets was a good idea and also signed off on buying karts for my son and I after we sold the last Quarter Midget. Pretty sure she’s a keeper!

4 Likes

There was a headline today about a father/son duo that died of exposure hiking in 119 degree heat in the USA this week. Y’all be careful out west racing if it’s hot. Water alone is not sufficient.

But how much faster than you is she? :grinning:

After the kids aged out of quarter midgets, she decided the racing was up to us. She stays home and enjoys the solitude.

1 Like

No kidding! Mid Ohio didn’t allow race engines until 7:00 a.m. There was always one jabroni who insisted on starting his GT-1 Camaro at 7:00 exactly, even though he wouldn’t be on track for several hours. It seemed like he was always set up near us for some reason. I Think he enjoyed being the racing version of a rooster. :rooster:

2 Likes

In karting he’s the guy whose whanging away at the throttle on the stands for 1/2 hr deafening everyone to get the engine up to temp. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Had one of those on Saturday. Woke up at 7 to some guy redlining his Briggs on the stand. Like come on dude, registration doesnt even open for another half hour.

1 Like

I think i’ve just read my new favor term. Track rooster - someone that revs out an engine on the stand first thing in the morning at least an hour before being on track

2 Likes

1 Like

This conversation veered sharply away from Indycars! Kartpulse adult ADD at its finest!

I absolutely know who Honda Ron is. We have race against him many many times over the years. That’s awesome. Who would have known I had a fellow Karter/KP Member lurking about the race track. I don’t crew for my dad as much now that I live in TX, but try to make it to the RunOffs with him. If you make it out, let me know.

I think this year is VIR again.

2 Likes

That’s great! I think I remember seeing your dad’s car at the Indianapolis runoffs - there aren’t that many CRXs left. With kids and the Runoffs moving away from Mid Ohio I haven’t done much crewing lately. I think the last time I crewed was the 24 Hours of Nelson Ledges in 2008. IIRC, that was the only time (over 12 years) any of the teams I crewed the 24 for didn’t finish - we had electrical problems. Lots of stories and good times! Gotta get to VIR sometime. Looks like a fun track.