2024 Formula 1 Season Discussion

We may just have different aesthetics we prefer. Your eye for color and design is certainly more developed than mine from the Otkane side…

That said, I can’t get behind the scheme. Frankly I haven’t liked any of their liveries in about a decade. I do understand the heritage with the Papaya (NOT Orange, PAPAYA) but I’d prefer that as an accent vs the primary scheme personally. To me carbon in a scheme should be used sparingly, as too much looks tacky. I know, I’m impossible.

I loved the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes era, but everyone has their own preferences.

I feel like McLaren going back to the chrome livery would be marketing genius. Every single time someone comments on the livery, it is essentially free marketing for Google Chrome and it would be loved by F1 fans.

Chrome paint is probably too heavy for this gen of car but I still want to see it again someday!

2 Likes

Brings no value? Compared to Haas?

Formula 1 is bonkers.

2 Likes

They scared of a real American effort.

Absolutely, boycotting F1 over this decision, when the market crashes and they cant get competitors I know the first place they will beg.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly!!

I can kind of somewhat understand the engine supplier argument; having a Cadillac team with a Cadillac engine is definitely more appealing than another Haas, and who knows what the volume situation looks like for the engine manufacturers (I’m a production engineer at Toyota, in powertrain, and volume changes are a big deal) … But then again, how can you have Haas and turn down Andretti?! You would think the Andretti name and history would have carried some weight through the decision making process.

When I first read about them applying for F1 and needing an engine supplier, I was thinking it’d be really cool if they somehow got Ford Cosworth back in the game. It’d be a full-circle moment, Cosworth providing engines to two generations of Andretti’s.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be pissed if they let KIA race. This reeks of fear of our excellent drivers and vehicles.

1 Like

So I did this today as kickback for this decision. Nothing else I can do to this idiotic organization.
CanceledF1Subscription

2 Likes

When I get home… I will be doing the same exact thing.

1 Like

It seems like everyone thinks this is a lame decision. I haven’t seen a single positive reaction.

And I agree. I simply don’t get it. I don’t think F1 is “scared” of an American team, but I think Liberty and the teams have reached critical mass on their greed. The teams don’t want to share any of the pie. F1 said in their statement that they think allowing Andretti in would “benefit Andretti more than it would benefit F1”. In essence, they don’t care about what the fans or motorsport community want, they only care about preserving and pumping up the value of what they already have.

Let’s be honest, we all know Andretti would not be competitive right away. No new team rocks up and puts up a real sustainable fight out of the gate. Success in F1 takes years. So I don’t think the teams are afraid of Andretti’s capabilities.

It’s just really disappointing, especially as an American fan, that it seems like F1 wants all the American support/money without actually committing to providing those fans with a “home” team.

6 Likes

Well, there might be one

Watch the first couple minutes of Senna. Says all we need to know

I’ll be interesting how much traction this gets in America. A few people vocally cancelling their F1TV. Could be an Indy 2005 moment… maybe, maybe not.

I have been frustrated with F1 for a long time, and this decision and rejection only deepens that. It doesn’t surprise me and I expected it to happen but the reasons they list simply don’t make sense.

They cite “research” and “data” but don’t give anyone the opportunity to objectively look at it, cite being non competitive as a reason to not have them join despite 90% of their current teams being uncompetitive by definition, and claim that a PU from GM would make all the difference.

Just……honestly what a joke and a farce. To me this is Indy 2005 levels of incompetence. So I guess it’s not without precedent.

I’m still going to watch from afar and pay attention to a point but it just goes against their entire espoused “we want to capitalize on the American market” statement from the last 2-3 years.

2 Likes

So…I get it.

If F1’s response is accurate there are some big red flags about Andretti’s application

Andretti have said they want to join in 2025, the year before a major rule change.

They have no PU supply.

They were offered a meeting to discuss and didn’t even respond.

So, they’ve made their application, there are some gaps and questions, F1 asked some questions and requested a meeting to discuss, and Andretti didn’t respond.

F1 is pushing towards (or maybe already is) a franchise model, would NFL let a new franchise in without plans for a stadium? Without responding to the requests for clarification? Of course they wouldn’t.

Andretti has been aggressive about their efforts to enter F1, the elitism seems to come from their end. It’s stinks of “America is the great country in the world, so of course we’ll be accepted”. I mean they tried to get team principles to sign a petition at the first Miami race, why would they do that unless they thought everyone approved?

What Andretti has done well is get public opinion in their favor.

Now, I’m not saying greed isn’t involved, the teams (and F1) want to protect their income stream, which is directly connected to competitiveness.

The timing is significantly different to when Haas came in. F1 wanted American income, they had one Grand Prix and not many people watching. Drive to Survive happened and now they have 3 Grand Prix, all sold out, and I’m guessing F1TV subscriptions off the hook. F1 thinks they don’t need an American team, id hesitate to guess that Haas made no difference and Drive to Survive was the big change.

Given that, why risk their income unless Andretti can prove they bring more to F1.

Hides from backlash

1 Like

I don’t necessarily like it, but I get it. Basically Liberty are convinced they have strong growth ahead and do not need Andretti or anyone else to accomplish it.

They’ve grown the US market to this point without Andretti, so the “growing US audience” as a means to bring them on onboard is a weak one.

I don’t think being a competitive, well funded team would even be enough right now. It’s all exposure/media driven. Any entity joining as a team probably needs to be able to show large media clout too. As well as the $200m join fee.

Liberty will be praying the Hamilton to Ferrari rumour has legs, or is it planned distraction? :rofl::rofl: Seems to have weight though, so could be just good timing.

Anyone, I am not convinced by the document Liberty put out. I find it somewhat strange to say that a brand built partially off the back of winning an F1 World Championship, thus helping to develop the brand value of F1, isn’t enough to get a place in F1. What’s the point of F1 if having a F1 World Championship associated brand doesn’t generate enough brand value to race in F1. It’s like some circular whirlpool of nonsense.

Also, the FIA accepted Andretti’s entry (thus technically that could race if they wanted to burn a few hundred mil). However with the entry not being viable from a financial perspective from sporting perspective it’s clear we have too much influence on an FIA World Championship by the commercial rights owner. It’s amusing somewhat people are asking the EU to get involved when it was the EU who helped create the situation in the first place when they rules FIA needs to sell of F1.

I think fundamentally this breaks the ‘F1 pyramid’ as well as demeans World Championship status. I know why Liberty did what they did, they should never have had the power in the first place.

I am not sure if this will really aid F1’s plans in America. I won’t be shocked though if it doesn’t, but it’s given people an opportunity to be genuinely anti-F1.

2 Likes

… and the Andretti story gets buried :joy:

(a gentle reminder of F1’s power)

1 Like

Huge news if it happens. Where does Carlos land? I think he’s good enough for a top drive, but I doubt Merc will take him when they’ve got Mick who they are so proud of. At the same time, Mick doesn’t seem of the right caliber to step into Hamilton’s shoes. I think a Mick/George team would be too immature to get the job done.

Fire Lance, put Carlos next to his hero Alonso and have team Spain at Aston.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but Lewis would look good in red. I am in favor.

Merc have a driver they don’t want in the car in 2024, and the same is said for Ferrari. If contract allows a swap would do the job for this season.

1 Like