A place for a shakedown

hey, everyone - brand new to the forum, and new to outdoor karting. one of my pandemic activities was a frame-up assembly of a shifter (birel art kz), and it’s finally ready for a shakedown. my neighborhood is out of the question, and i don’t think i want a track to be the first place i give it a go (and i assume the other drivers would agree and appreciate that).

does anyone in the chicago area have any ideas for a good open place to take it on a test drive, legally? i’d love to find an abandoned but not completely decrepit parking lot, but i’ve heard that’s a good way to get to know the local authorities (not interested).

thanks for any help!

Actually a track is exactly where you should go.

2 Likes

Yes, shake downs, motor break ins, and slow new people are all very common at your local track open practice days. No reason not to go and have fun. It’s not necessary, but if it makes you feel better, walk around the paddock and let others know what you’re doing. They will give you room and you’ll be ready to go before you know it.

2 Likes

We’ve gone up to Dousman WI, Badger Kart Club Badger Kart Club on a week day for testing. There is also Concept Haulers in Norway IL.

2 Likes

I concur with Derek. 99% of the time we can tell who’s shaking down, breaking in, or new right away and you’ll find the majority of drivers will take care around you on the track and be happy you’re out there doing your thing!

2 Likes

Very good then - appreciate the advice! Enjoy the weekend.