Adoption of OK-N In the US

This engine package should be lighter, but I’d be surprised to see it as 20lbs lighter than and X30/ROK GP where the 340lbs vs 360lbs is directly comparable.

There is no way I would have ever made 145kg (320lbs) even at 15 or 16 years old. I think even then I weighed around 160lbs.

I did some internet sleuthing and the IAME OK J (assuming they’ll be basically the same weight as the OK-N) and IAME X30 are both 12kgs without accessories.

Immediately you’d save about 5.5lbs with the loss of the battery. I think the wiring harness would be a small weight, maybe 0.5-1lb. I can’t imagine theres much difference in the exhaust, carb or various airboxes.

There might be potential to drop some more weight by using a different radiator and waterpump as i assume thats open in OK-N.

So lets say 10lbs difference between OK-N and X30 packages (if you get a smaller radiator).

Weird that the X30 and OK are listed at the same weight. Starter, clutch, and reduced casting size to account for them have to count for something.

1 Like

Heavier drivers? I approve, but I’m also probably not in the target OK-N demographic.

1 Like

Why not? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be targetted at older drivers. It’s be far healthier if it did.

What do we think the approximate max driver weight will be for OK-N at the CIK weight?

TaG 100 cc is healthy enough for us older drivers (+55).

Building off of what Evan has said, my hope is that the difference is bigger in the building / tuning than which manufacturer you choose to get in bed in with. That’s all you can hope for here. And I don’t think there are too many clueless individuals expecting a fully-even class. Us americans are afraid of falling into the trap that our (granted self-induced) TaG class put us in with major powerband variances between engines we raced. A ROK GP with more top, an X30 with more bottom, a Rotax with more mid-range all meant that the BoP by weights never worked for a traveling series and that everyone had to own everything.

But with the ruleset relatively standardized, that shouldn’t be the case. Even in the event you mentioned Alan of a single manufacturer dominating, that’d be okay too. So long as it’s dominant across the board in track sizes.

As for weight, the STARS group are a smart bunch. I’d bet we end up at a 350-355 lbs minimum weight, so right around 160 kg. Maybe we go 345, but 340 to me is far too low.

Also, their pitch stateside is making it 15+ with 100cc senior at 14+. Not trying to cater down to kids so the weight can stay towards the standard adult weight bracket.

1 Like

I agree with the sentiment, but this isn’t what is being expressed publicly by the organisers. The FIA are making the same error, by the way, with their marketing material. I don’t think the drivers are clueless, but it’s imperative they know what they are getting into. The tuning and engine differences is a feature, not a bug. Engines ending up close might happen, but that’s not the intent of the engine manufacturers and tuners.

if there’s any incongruence between what is being promised and what is actually delivered, then negative sentiment can reek havoc.

Well if it’s any consolation, us american folk hardly pay attention to the FIA as it is, and that includes a lot of what they’ve said so far about the motor. So their marketing isn’t a major breach into the eardrums over here. Which means that the series can control the narrative.

I guess being on a separate continent isn’t always a bad thing.

1 Like

I hope this takes off and we see it as another step on the rung. Maybe we will see some of the dominant guys finally move up from X30 to OK-N and some new winners in X30. Finally provides more than just two steps along the way in “Pro” TAG karting from 100cc → 125cc.

Grew up racing dirt ovals and there were so many ways to the top. Karts → Micro sprints/Midgets → Modifieds/Late Models → Sprint cars.

1 Like

Thank god this is not a dirt car forum. You just hurt a lot of peoples feelings puting Sprints above Late Models :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Driven both. Both are fun, but power-to-weight Sprint car is king so… :upside_down_face:

There’s a debate about this? The top level sprint car I simmed wanted to kill me at any speed. late models were relatively lethargic. Maybe I am misremembering.

1 Like

Not to be a doubting Thomas but if history is any indication, first year or two it will be ok, but then it will slide into oblivion.

This is what happened with Formula A and ICA in the late 90’s and early 2000’s when it came to the States. Not sure if it was cost, the fact that single make series offered more and better racing alternatives, or the perception that suitcase engines or brand A engines were needed to win.

I raced ICA for 2 years in Germany 2001 and 2002) and it was not afflicted by the suitcase engine phenomenon. And between TM, Vortex, Maxter, Italsistem, and a few others, any of the motors could and did win.

Who would be offended. Sprint cars are the top rung. Shit I would borderline put midgets in line with late model.

The obvious obstacle to this class is who wants to push-start a direct-drive?

I imported the TecniEngines OK to the USA for two years. It was unsalable. As soon as a customer saw anyone else shoving me for fifty yards down the pitlane to get the thing running there was no chance. There was a little more success when I could get them to drive it and experience a light 36 hp kart, but they all went back to their X30s thankful for the button.

Other than the joy of engines howling at 20k, and the lighter weight of no starter, is there a legit reason for folks to hanker for DD? It seems to represent the greatest era of kart racing, so there’s gotta be more to it just that it’s light and makes great noises.

I presume it’s sellable to experienced karters who yearn to try what it felt like to race in those days. I am surprised that push starting is such a barrier to entry for most.

What defines it, why does it exist again, what are they hoping to recapture via OK-N?

Clutches, electronics, and batteries are more moving parts to break and weigh the kart down. Less complication and lighter weight = better vehicle.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: yes I am an ass. This is peak vehicle, then.