Aixro XR50 - Any experience?

i just meant for the sake of insurance or rules - i think they fall under the rules for 2-strokes.

1 Like

Good point. I might ask around…

Yes, rotaries fire each combustion chamber once per rotation like a 2-stroke. They even inject oil into the combustion chamber (I premix mine at the race track). However, most still consider them 4-strokes. Insurance doesn’t care, and the rules seem to flex around which org is administering them and how much they want rotaries involved or not. Some double the displacement as if they were 2-storkes, some do not.

1 Like

Bryan:

It’s only expensive if you haven’t driven it. Once you have, its no longer expensive.

Beware tho - this thing will will corrupt your soul.

2 Likes

I’ve only seen them on dirt, hence the wot for 10 seconds. It seemed like they were only wide open for 3-4 seconds on the straight away.

I’ve had 3 or 4 customers throughout the years with these things and it’s been sometime since I’ve seen or worked on one.

That said, if you pick one up, make sure you get all the sprockets you will need. The 428 sprockets for these are difficult to find and you’ll never find one trackside.

The early engines were notoriously hard on clutches, and although I believe it was fixed, I’d make sure you have whatever the updated clutch may have been.

Temperature, like all rotaries this things goal in life is to freeze the intake side and melt the exhaust side. You’ll likely never want for more power, but that power comes at a trade off, which is heat management. I remember seeing pictures of these things at night races with the headers glowing. Looked super cool. The not so cool part is if the engine overheats, you run the risk of warping apex seals, and those are rather expensive. If you stick the largest radiator you can on it, and don’t go crazy with the RPM (I recall they wanted to be under 12,000) You should be good.

There was two models at the time I dealt with them. One had an electric starter, the other one used an outboard. The outboard one was our personal favorite because the onboard starter often struggled to crank the engine. The solution was running an additional battery in series. So if the convenience isn’t a concern, the outboard is a less complex and lighter solution.

And the other issue with these things, was parts availability and pricing. It’s hard to promote an engine package in the US when it doesn’t have a race series it can run in, affordable parts, well understood technology by the users, or a distributor that’s familiar with the Karting industry.

2 Likes

What do u want to know ?

Welcome Andrew. I think his main question is how to set one up for long track racing.

1 Like

Engine is really a short circuit engine , will only run for short max rpm bursts for about 10 seconds , it’s charge cooled by means of side plate induction at lower revs

Thank you for the information Andrew. That answers my question. I just wasn’t sure how simular it was to a Mazda rotary, something I am more familiar with as far as how they are cooled and lubricated.

Reviving an ancient thread, but anyone who is a fan of Danger Doritos they might find this interesting.

I was looking into parts to rebuild my aixro that I use for dirt oval racing and talking to a gentleman in the UK that is a dealer and has much experience with them. Upon discussions with him I found out that they make a high compression rotor for the aixro, as well as a dual spark plug housing (opposed to the single plug standard one). From this gentleman he says this combo is good for 60ish HP with the stock carb still. He was a great help and put me in touch with the factory direct. Needless to say, I’m now ordering a new high output version long block of the aixro with these parts.

Looking forward to the Spicy Danger Dorito :grin:

4 Likes

“Danger dorito” lol. Are you running methanol already?

No, I personally hate dealing with methanol so I have chosen not to. Many times I’ve contemplated E85 to get the alcohol benefits without the corrosive nature of methanol, but race gas is just easier.

1 Like

We need a video as soon as it’s ready! The Aixro is in my bucket list, up there together with the Balen K2

4 Likes

The Spicy Danger Dorito long block has arrived, pick up a couple Tilly’s for it and get it on the dyno this summer sometime hopefully

5 Likes

looks promising! What’s the weight?

Actually not sure, I’ll try and weigh it and let you know.

Been awhile since I’ve updated this thread but finally got my Spicy Danger Dorito running and on track this past weekend with some promising results. Some things to work on as I need to manage temps a bit better, but I have plans for that. Performance I was very happy with.

AWESOME! I’d love an Aixro on a sprint kart.

1 Like

Where’s the indoor oval and can I come play on the dorito?