Any experience with or suggestions for Kart Track LED Light Flagging systems?

So no different than a corner marshall with a flag…

Well… there is that guy pointing at you and you know it’s you… I mean you could ignore the fella too but the electronic flag doesn’t say anything or penalize you if you are indifferent to it.

All I’m saying is that a bunch of racers showed up at a facility that used that and we weren’t prepared for it and as far as I can tell, everyone basically ignored it.

I would assume a club that’s consistent with it, it would be fine.

Foot down, hand up. They are just a reference for you can’t pass until after the incident starting here. :joy:

I’m talking about corner Marshalls with flags or lights. :grin:

I think I may have been one of the few to raise a hand. But yeah, foot stayed in.

Well, my hand raise is typically just a flick up and a point to let the guy behind me know.

1 Like

Yeah it’s really a hey bud be careful because somethings up

Dom-

How was the visibility? Could you see the lights ahead of you?

We know that this will require some training for our club members to look for each light (we are considering 5 of them) as they race around the track.

There doesn’t seem to be alot of experience with these, so we’re hesitant to make the investment.

Since I have taken over the president role at SIRA, track lighting is something we’ve been heavily looking into to get workers off the track. If there’s an option to where you can avoid putting people next to the circuit in more dangerous areas, that’s the way to go.

They do their job of alerting a driver that there’s an issue coming up. It’s really just a matter of informing the racers that they are in use and where they are located.

2 Likes

John, I’ll share a race session so you can see them in action. They are panels and also lights hanging from ceiling. You can see a light as I exit pits as well. The green lights continue along the outside edge of track down s/f. At which point, the track curves away from the periphery. Here, the hanging lights are likely supposed to come into play? I don’t see another light until 3/4 of way through inner complex.

See the little green light?

The lights hanging from the ceiling I assumed were also for signaling drivers (but they weren’t on).

I think this is just a flawed/partial setup. It needs flaggers as well. I think for our race, the director put a guy on the sf straight entrance at least.

To be fair to the drivers, I had no clue what was going on so I bet no one else did either. I would imagine that a better system would be less subtle.

Normally they have these square panels that are bigger, not these stop/go round traffic lights.

And implementing sufficiently motivating consequences if they are being ignored.
“Top Clown rules of engagement exists for your safety and for that of your fellow club members.”

We are looking into this at GCKI in Katy, TX too. I will update when we figure out what we are doing.

The Stars series uses them and the NKA group sells, installs and does the training. Nice system. Does Christian Marsh lurk here?

The lights are plenty bright even in full daylight, and I think you can have multiple people operate it at once? If not I would just have the head flagger do it, and the race director can communicate to the head flagger.

1 Like

The lights that Track Systems use can be controlled by everyone who has a remote, plus the “base” computer

Matthew, I work with Track Systems North America. Happy to chat and help with anything on our LED Flagging system here is my email. Shoot me a message and i can follow up with details.

[email protected]

Anyone interest in learning more feel free to reach out anytime

[email protected]

Someone’s gotta have marketing video that shows a good system in action.

Here’s a pic of what I normally think of when I hear about these systems. (From the website of Jackson company).

We utilize the PixelCom System at FIA Karting International level, on each marshal post. They are powered by 12v portable batteries, exactly the same as the ones used in X30 / RoK and are remote control operated.

All modules are synched between them and are both able to automatically cascade (ergo: Upon the activation of a yellow flag at Marshal Post 5, Marshall Post 6 would automatically light green) and can be controlled in unison by a master remote, held by the Race Director.

2 Likes

I reached out to Jackson and he has been super helpful so far. Our club is run by a board of directors voted on my the members, so these decisions are not unilateral and take some time.

Our biggest concern . . . will the drivers look for and see the lights in yellow/red situations.

1 Like