Anyone experience issues from storing karts vertically?

Hi There,

Kind of a basic question, but curious if anyone has experienced troubles from storing certain karts or engine configurations on a vertical stand?

I have a KT100/KPV kart I store on a vertical stand, no concerns there with the engine, but I have needed to bleed the brakes after storing vertically after a few months.

I have not stored my CR125 vertically, and it tends to have issues starting when I get it on the ground using my one-person kart stand, it goes nearly 80 degrees vertical while using that one-man stand.
That’s obviously with fuel in it, and I don’t tend to drain the full fuel system between every trip to the track, so I never store it vertically.

Anyone had any issues with gear oil or crankcase oil draining or pooling having stored a CR125 or Lo206 vertically?

Thanks!

The CR lends itself better to vertical storage than the 206. Just make sure you drain the fuel not only from the tank, but from the carb and line also. You might be OK on gearbox oil, I can’t remember for the CR. On a KZ we’d run a long piece of fuel line from the vent towards the front of the engine to prevent the oil spilling out.

The 206 you really can’t store vertically, at least not on its rear bumper. If you do, the oil flows down to the head and eventually into the combustion chamber. It’s an issue for all OHV kart engines though, not just the 206. Keeping the engine at TDC in storage can help mitigate it, but you also have the crankcase vent to deal with. The carb and fuel tank on the 206 needs to be drained in the same way as the CR.

Two stroke engines with pumper carbs as you noted will stand on their rear bumper just fine.

Actually in lieu of emptying the fuel tank, you can just use a valve to stop it continuously draining via the carb. You’ll forget to turn it back on at least once though, so watch out for that :joy:

2 Likes

You should drain the fuel from your kart tank, which is vented, to a sealed drum or at least a gasoline jug after each day of karting. That way all of your volatile fuel components don’t evaporate, stinking up the garage and making the engine impossible to start the next time.

1 Like

Appreciate the replies, would definitely drain the tank and carb of fuel before storing vertically.
Thanks James for the LO206 confirmation.

X30 CRG no issues. Always stored on its ass without the tank.

1 Like

I have not stored my CR125 vertically, and it tends to have issues starting when I get it on the ground using my one-person kart stand, it goes nearly 80 degrees vertical while using that one-man stand.
That’s obviously with fuel in it, and I don’t tend to drain the full fuel system between every trip to the track, so I never store it vertically.

This sounds like a common problem encountered with CR125 and other moto-based shifter karts that use a " Pump Around " carburetor systerm, as opposed to a standard carb.

The difference between a “Pump Around” carb and a standard carb is that the Pump Around system uses two fuel pumps, instead of one, to push fuel to and from the engine and fuel tank.

The carburetor is also modified internally for the Pump Around. One of the modifications is to remove a needle from inside the carb. Unfortunately, that needle is what prevents fuel from spilling into the engine when the kart is tilted.

I don’t know if your kart has a pump around carb system or not, but if it does, this is likely what is happening when your lift your kart on your one-person kart stand. There is no needle in the modified carb to stop the fuel from flowing into the engine when the kart is tilted.

I have a CR125 and a one-person kart stand, and I’ve decided to make a switch from a Pump-Around carb to a regular carb for the engine. I haven’t been out to the track yet to see the difference, but I’d rather deal with the risk of bogging in some turns than deal with the hassle of struggling to start the engine because it is flooded with fuel.

3 Likes

You’re exactly right, it’s a pump-around configuration. I figured that was the case with the needle, but largely rely on a helping hand to get it on the ground after experiencing issues with the one-person stand, so never committed to an alternative.
Thanks!

We store all of ours on uprights. Pull the tank, drain the carb, and plug the bottom end vent on a shifter and you’re golden.

We store 206s vertical, too. Drain the oil hot at the end of the day, pull the tank, drain the carb.

1 Like

be careful storing moto karts vertically since can knock carbon out of the pipe and back through exhaust port and into the cylinder and mess stuff up. best to take the pipe off if going to story them vertically. fastech and other places sell little valve you can put in the feed line that you flip closed during storage to prevent any fuel from the tank from going where it shouldn’t also. to make my kart start easy i put one between a “magic can” above the carburator and close at end of day and open at beginning of the day and kart woudl start with basically first pull ever time. i now run a pump around which i like though in the long corners better

1 Like