Are Torsion Bars Legal? Kart Technical Regulation Deep Dive!

What has happened is no one builds karts to the rule book now, they just copy OTK. Thus nothing gets challenged or clarified, and thus kept with the times.

If not the first, I was one of the first, frame builders to incorporate a crossbar of the type youā€™re speaking out. Mine was welded in. This was in 1973. The first euro cards were built with what you described in about the late 70s or early 80s. That means theyā€™ve been here for over 40 years, or thereabouts. There has never, to my knowledge, been a regulation against them. Irrespective of T KMā€™s attempts to reorder kart frame design, Iā€™d say that previous design norms take precedent.

Without a rule, specifically preventing their use, Iā€™d say past president has to be the ruling standard by which to go by.

1 Like

Take in to account how a Seat can stiffen or soften a chassis. Is it not a bolt on component? Or Third bearing? If you really want to go there, what about the floor pan. Granted, it is required like a seat, but thicker gauge material could take some flex out of the front end depending on how its fastened.

Perhaps @alvinnunley is right and its just grandfathered in.

Would be interesting to know when those specific rules were added and when manufacturers started using the removable design. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?