Axle Chatter at Power Band

When I accelerate the Lo206, it’s been smooth as always. It doesn’t matter if it’s up an incline, with a heavy foot, or feathering the throttle on a relatively flat surface. However, when I hit the power band, the axle does a big chatter for about a second and then smooths out again. Nothing on the axle looks out of place. I checked that my tire pressures are equal and it’s not one tire getting better grip than the other, but those were fine. It has a brand new drive and driven gear, so I don’t think that’s the issue (I want to say it’s a 20 x 75 gearing), however I went ahead and tightened the chain up from about 3/4" slack to just shy of 1/2 slack. That didn’t seem to affect it.

The only thing I can think of now is some changes I made to the Inferno Flame Bully clutch. I took it apart to inspect it the other day, and I was reading on the Inferno Flame site about leading vs trailing shoes. I flipped the shoes from trailing to leading since it seemed like there was a benefit with the forward momentum and smooth engagement.

What are your thoughts? Am I overlooking something?

1 Like

Reading through this my first thought was “sounds like the shoes are flipped”

1 Like

Definitely sounds like a clutch issue to me.

1 Like

Yeah, I flipped my shoes and it did exactly what OP is describing. I didn’t care for the slip behavior either; it would let the revs overshoot the engagement rpm then they’d drop then they’d hook and take off. Standard, the revs hold then rise with speed much more smoothly and without the clunkclunkclunk

1 Like

I run this clutch exclusively. Shoes in leading position don’t ever do anything weird like what you’re describing. Double check your grease shield, and other internals. I’d also check your springs. I use black and yellow. Black needs to be opposite of black, yellow opposite of yellow. If same colors aren’t opposite each other, clutch might engage unevenly causing a weird chatter initially.

2 Likes

I’m running black springs with dual heavy weights. I checked the springs when I had it apart, and they were all fairly tight still. I do have some new ones inbound I can try later this week.

The problem is your shoes had worn in one way and now they will need to wear in the other way. I never flip shoes. Buy new ones and they’ll take a set the way you want.

2 Likes

I was curious if this is what was going on with mine. It makes sense, but I was too small of a sample size to claim it was true, haha. I did hear another kart at the track making the exact some noises, so I should’ve asked them if they had also flipped worn shoes like I did.

1 Like

That makes perfect sense! Thank you. I’ll play with it later this week.

Yea, flipping them did the trick! Its back to running great! Thankyou everyone for the input.

5 Likes