Bedding in new brake rotor

I’m replacing a slightly tweaked axle on my Margay ignite. I have everything off the axle and could replace the brake rotor as I’m putting things together again. Our next race is Elkhart which only one major braking zone and it’s significant - it’s at the end of a looonng straight where you’re carrying pretty serious speed. My question: how long does it take to bed in / break in a new rotor on used pads? Would I be better off to just put the experienced rotor back on and replace rotor and pads at the same time? there is still quite a bit of material on the pads.

New rotor new pads for the best performance and longevity

2 Likes

That’s kind of what I expected but since everything is torn apart to replace the axle… :thinking:

Very little to bed in generally. Couple of laps at most. You can speed up the process a little by scuffing the rotor. Not neccasary though.

3 Likes

Cool. I have things loosely reassembled after changing the axle and put the old rotor back on. It’ll be easy enough to change if I decide to. You arrive at turn 1 at Elkhart at a pretty good clip and there’s no real runoff so I kinda want to make sure I have functioning brakes!

Just send her, bud.

Rev, brake, rev, brake a few times on the stand.

5 Likes