Best LO206 Chassis?

Thanks, that’s really good, and reassuring, information. How long have you been racing karts and the 206 series?

I have driven a lot on hard compounds on jim hall’s karts. Those tires last forever. That being said, there was a noticeable difference in traction between cold and hot. The first lap and a half was always real squirrelly. If you aren’t able to tell the difference between hot and cold tires, they must be rocks.

Well in fairness they were on rentals. I have no doubt there’s a huge difference between a rental and a kart Jim has worked on. He explained to me that there really is no comparison between a rental and a true racing kart. So I jus gotta keep saving for that VLR chassis and learn from there! But all u guys have been very helpful and welcoming, thank you.

Daniel, if you are in the Denver area, go to Action Karting at Bandimere Speedway in Morrison. If you can run laps under 59 seconds consistently they will let you rent an LO206 kart. These are legit 206 karts. Yes, they are rentals so they are a bit rough around the edges but it would give you a taste of what an actual race kart chassis feels like.

And I run into Eric Gunderson in a thread related to LO206 chassis… If anyone knows why I am researching this topic right now, it would be Eric lol.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some people take a 2 stroke kart and put a 206 on it and then there is some karts that are designed for 206’s. What makes a difference between the karts that are designed for 206? I’ve seen some people on Facebook mention that if you are getting into the 206 make sure to get a chassis that is designed for a 206. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Welcome @bobzilla Are you already racing and looking for yoiur next chassis, getting started, or just curious?

Here’s a couple of topics to digest:

Here’s my observation

The benefit of “206” or what are called four cycle chassis is mostly down to convenience, simplicity and price point. They tend to be economy models with basic (if any) camber/caster adjustment, more rudimentary braking systems, steering wheels and so on. That doesn’t mean they are inferior however, just no frills.

Beyond that there’s some differences like a 40mm axle vs 50mm axles, sometimes different tube diameters but again, like I say you’ll see both types at the front of fields.

You’ll find people have been able to make almost any kind of chassis and axle size work. The four stroke specific chassis usually have two main features.

Manufacturers have “developed” chassis for low power situations, but it’s not necessary to use one and you’ll find non specific chassis up the front as well.

Rant:

Most opinions on facebook in my experience are though the lens of what a racer/dealer thinks is best for themselves or their own personal preferences… Rather than listening to the person coming into the sport and actually taking the time to understand the specifics of the person asking the question. That’s one of the drivers (pun intended) behind these forums, a place for advice that actually pertains to each situation because unfortunately there’s rarely any universal ones. Location, budget and other factors play a big part.

Long story short, a chassis marketed as a “206” is sure nice to have, certainly won’t hurt but by no means a necessity. If you can find one that’s in your budget that offers support at the tracks you plan racing at, go for it.

1 Like

I thought these karts have adjustable camber/casters?

100% new to the sport.

Welcome: Kick off a topic in the Getting Started in Karting category. There’s a bit of a questionnaire to fill out that will help folks figure out what the best options might be for you.