Best way to clean a radiator?

Drained the water out of the kart and it was nasty and the hoses/radiator look disgusting. What is the best way to clean the system? I’ll get new hoses, but what about the best way to clean the radiator? This is for a cr80 shifter

There are some cleaning solutions available. AF I believe has one, otherwise you can use a generic radiator flush liquid for cars. Once cleaned, I suggest only using distilled water and water wetter specifically designed for racing applications (e.g. maxima KoolAide)

1 Like

It supposedly had just distilled water. Looking into a coolant so I don’t have to drain regularly and since I won’t be on a track, just a dirt course.

You can use this from mondo .

And as a home made solutions i have work with vinegar full up my radiator and left it for several hours inside to work . And a second idea i have done is left the whole radiator inside o bucket full of coca cola for a whole night .

1 Like

It works even better if you add a packet of mint mentos. Try it.

1 Like

I had to do this a few years back on my old Leopard radiator. My engine builder advised me that tap water and water wetter were not ideal and caused a lot of calcium build up. Additionally the Water Wetter was not permitted at our track.

I basically used a bucket and a pump to make a water circuit through my radiator with a solution of very hot distilled water and CLR. This was a method we used at work to flush heater cores in cars and it worked very well. It removed 90% of the deposits. To get the remaining 10% I used a vinegar and hot water solution. It cam out sparkling on the inside. If you have an all aluminum radiator, vinegar can pit the metal so don’t let it run more than necessary to remove the gunk. When you are done, flush the remaining solution out with straight distilled water and you are good to go.

1 Like

Sound nice drop in mentos and hold you mouth near the opening and watch the magic happen :crown:

1 Like