Blocking discussion

May have been textbook, but its a crappy textbook these kids are reading from. If that makes me a grumpy old man, I’m ok with it.

1 Like

i did a similar move in 4 people like to check up and if u preempt it you can go right around the outside and there’s nothing they can really do

It was prefinal. So didn’t want to move him. Just didn’t let him in front in the final

Not wanting to and needing to to make a point are two unrelated things. :grin:

2 Likes

Was that the same kid that blocked into 8 and then looked over his shoulder to the outside 2 or 3 times?

I say it should be an automatic penalty if you block then look back. Even if you don’t move or affect anyone, your intent WAS to move again if needed.

From 16:30 to the end, this is where I’m saying the defensive driving is textbook. Picks their line early, commits to it, no second move up the track, I don’t see anything bad or dirty about what Garcia or Ingratta were doing here.

Block line with 4 to go? Looking over the shoulder and changing lanes with 3 to go? I stick to my statement.

1 Like

Blocking with 4 to go in a 24 lap race, that’s reasonable. This is a point in the race where everyone is going to be fighting for position, if he doesn’t block he’s going to get passed and it’ll be 6 karts passing him if he does. Is he just supposed to sit there and let that happen?

That move into 4 with 3 to go is the only instance I saw that happen, where he looked back, saw he wasn’t under attack going into the corner, and opened up the entry. You can argue it’s questionable, but I wouldn’t call anything on it. I’ve seen worse driving standards at the local clubs.

the way people race nationally especially in x30 jr is surprising blocking goes on pretty much all race

Olivier/Aaron,

I am not calling out one person. I understand this is how these kids race and how they are taught to race. I am just complaining on the internet behind the safety of my keyboard that I don’t like it. Max drove a great race for MPG. He had the speed to win all weekend. Like I said, I am just a grumpy old man that misses the days when you would try to drive away from the pack instead of driving to try to keep them behind you.

Just a small note that it is really tough to drive away at GoPro, especially in the slower classes. It doesn’t look like it, but draft is pretty important there, from T1 down to the bowl.

And the benefit of everyone stacking up on the bottom to defend is you can just drive around the outside and SEND IT. Me at 2:35 at SuperNats (any excuse I can find to post this video):

exactly pulse the field was quite close this weekend so if people were smart they can push up to the leader which happened in ka on Saturday when helio made a good gap, draft was 2-5 tenths a lap from what i saw

If I had this video, I would post it every chance i got too :wink:

In these situations, us tater digger guys would pick a partner and try to push away. If the draft is super helpful, push someone to the front and then sort it out on the last lap between the two of you.

1 Like

Old Guys get no respect. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Then when said partner block lines the last lap, send him…

Textbook blocking = Textbook sending

1 Like

i tried that in one of my prefinals with max for a few laps but the filed was so close with draft we ended up with a 10 kart lead train and you need to block to cause some action and cayos so maybe they start battle behind you and you can check out

The racing could no doubt be smarter. I see so many stupid squabbles over 2nd and 3rd place these days, while 1st drives off uncontested or gets a few laps of clean air.

When I won USPKS at GoPro, I got to the lead, but then the 2nd and 3rd place guys literally stayed in line for about 15 laps, pushing each other trying to get back to my bumper. That kind of patience and maturity is waning.

4 Likes

Even the best do it :slight_smile: I remember saying to my mate when we watched live “well they’re letting Max go”. it was so obvious tat Max was vulnerable the first couple of laps and they needed to hustle him out of 1st and mired in a battle. I am sure they’ll disagree, but lap 3 is like “OK, he’s gone now lads, well done” :slight_smile:

i feel like this stems from one driver who wants the lead of the pack quick then he makes one block and next thing you know they’re all passing and blocking because one driver set everyone off.

Yeah, the lead driver wants to create some chaos behind so he can scoot away. As soon as the front driver of a pack defends, the others have to do the same or they will get passed from being slowed down.