Blueprint engines vs stock engines

Overthinking x1000 here. Time is plenty accurate enough

Well, the pulse pumps push a given volume per cycle, so an integrated counter would be the simplest approach, but of course, I donā€™t see the pump makers jumping on board, more added cost & no revenue gain for the effort. Perhaps something thatā€™s in line with the pulse line itself.

Im not so sure actually. For example, isnt a KA putting more wear on itself at 16000RPM than at 11000RPM, but its not making peak power at 16000RPM? Fuel usage might not really correlate to the wear and heat cycling that a motor goes through. I wonder if an RPM histogram is really whatā€™s needed, that way you get time and RPM.

It would (not sure if RPM accounts for load bearing & how that might factor into wear, since running x RPM on the stand wonā€™t consume as much fuel as when carrying the weight of a driver on a track), but TM specifies rebuild schedules based on consumed fuel volume.

1 Like

Keep in mind TM comes from a motorcross/enduro background, where you use a wider RPM band so it made sense to measure in liters, and I guess they kept it ever sinceā€¦itā€™s pretty much the ā€œeuropeanā€ approach to measure it, I donā€™t recall measuring anything in hours until I came over to US, nobody used a hour counter. We simply kept track of how many 10L fuel containers we were mixing/using and thatā€™s about it. Every 6 you do the top, every 12 top and bottom, as a baseline (KZ). For karts, as you are always close to max RPM it makes little difference, even the old schoolers that now use a hour meter, they simply convert hours to liters using a 10/11 conversion rate (KZ), keeps things very simple

Liters are easy to count if you only have one engine!

So itā€™s probably just simply owed to European convention then, since the Japanese manufacturers use runtime hours.

I donā€™t think 10/11 would be accurate for TaG-KZ due to the different state if tune; would need to log hours & fuel consumption to establish a reasonably accurate ratio.

I see that it is the old exhaust on it with flex and a sleeve. Maby want to consider changing that before you start going all crazy at the trackā€‹:+1::grin:

1 Like

Is blueprinting the same as ā€œrace preppingā€? I see some mentions of comet and I know other engine builders use the term race prep, which includes dyno validation. So curious if the terms are use interchangeably.

I would say in the case of kart motors, yes. Blueprinting isnā€™t really what is going on as the tricks that used to be used in true blueprinting are not allowed. So motor builders are looking to get the most out of an engine using the allowed modifications and there is a target they are looking for on the dyno. In other words, race prepping, so that when you put it on the kart, it is broken in and ready to give the most performance.