Briggs & Stratton 206: The 16 Common Mistakes, A Preventative Guide for LO206

99% chance you have a partially clogged jet.

For dummies instructions: Remove carb cap and fuel line to carb. Remove carb so you can flip it upside down. Take bowl off (two outermost screws looking at the carb from the bottom). Remove any brass colored item that will come out. Blow air through them or ultrasonic them and put them back in.

1 Like

Pulled the carb today, disassembled it, and ran some carb cleaner threw every jet/ hole I could find. Started on the first pull with no choke. Sounded a bit off but I think thats because I need to play with the screws to get the mixture right. Its progress but I have no idea what I’m doing. Hindsight 20/20, I wish I would have counted each turn of the screws so I could put them back close to where they were before I messed with it.

Warm the motor up. Turn the idle speed screw clockwise until the engine idles around 2500. Then adjust the idle air screw around to find the max RPM. Next turn idle speed screw back to desired idle rpm.

1 Like

Can you tell me what document this is from ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.briggsracing.com/sites/default/files/carburetortuningguide_ms10429.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjTmZe_uaT0AhXbRzABHW6QAbkQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3QZms-CfeCJg--nvihKyp6

Here are 2 of them, the 2nd one is the one with the needle but both are really helpful. Let me know if they don’t work

1 Like

Excellent thanks Sahib !

I adjusted the circlip and (at the advice of someone I know) I backed both screws just about all the way out and used blue thread locker to keep them from basically falling out. Seemed to do the trick, its idoling fine now and not dying when I come off the throttle.

1 Like

In the process of installing my first 206 and I’m stuck on the catch can topic.

I see some catch cans are designed for 2 hoses. What’s the other hose beside the crankcase vent?

There also seems to be catch cans that don’t vent even though this is saying it should vent. Thoughts on that?

Could I also forgo the can just have a filter?

The other one is the overflow for the carb, it’s a black hose that comes out the bottom.

I’ve never seen anyone run a filter instead of a can, I don’t think it’s legal.

Can’t really speak to the venting question @Matt_Geist and @fatboy1dh could probably speak better on it.

1 Like

Catch cans are pretty easy, you can just make them with a bottle and zip ties. Both lines go in the bottle, with plenty of venting. I used a power steering fluid bottle, I think. Stayed put all year.

I made a little bracket to hold a 2 cycle oil bottle.

I made this piece of angle iron to hold a catch can and mount i bought from a local kart dealer. Works nice and stays put.

Briggs rules says crankcase and carburetor overflow must both go to a catch can. I suggest two separate or 1 with tons of venting. The key is to not let the crankcase pressurize the carb. It changes the fuel mixture and will cause a ton of issues.

2 Likes

I just use cans, easy solution always on hand.
I have also found the Amsoil 4T bottles to work great.

Thanks for the input and pictures. In looking closely I notice all the pics have a different valve cover design than what I have. Mine is just a hose exiting the vavle cover whereas I am seeing more of a fitting that the hose can connect to. How did you set this up?

You can get the part from any kart shop.

This is the fitting i use on the briggs.

2 Likes