Briggs & Stratton to invest $9.4 million in Alabama plant

A good signal from Briggs in 2021…

In Briggs & Stratton LLC’s first significant capital project under the company’s new ownership, the Wauwatosa-based manufacturer will invest $9.4 million in new equipment and add 34 employees at its complex in Auburn, Alabama.

Auburn is the home of a Briggs & Stratton engine plant that has operated since 1995 and a 400,000-square-foot distribution hub the company announced in 2018.

The capital equipment purchase will go toward the company’s production of its V-Twin Vanguard engines in Auburn, a company spokeswoman said Wednesday. Briggs announced in October 2017 that it would relocate production of the engines from a joint venture partnership in Japan to Briggs plants in Auburn and in Statesboro, Georgia.

Full Story on Bizjournals

2 Likes

Go, Briggs, go! You got this.

Awesome, 4 stroke is alive and well!

V-Twin Vanguard, but nothing about the 206 engines. So nothing there other than they are going to invest in what is most likely the most profitable engine line.

1 Like

Keyword is invest. From my view the fact there’s any investment at all is a positive. Sure, it’s not the 206 line nor is it anything direct for the Briggs racing program… but it IS something better than what could have been an asset stripping exercise.

The excellent B&S Vanguard V twin engines I have used were ‘made in japan’ and marked as such.
My interpretation of the press release is that the investment will be directed at least in part to producing these V twins in USA rather than Japan.