California Bans Sale of Small Off Road Engines - AB1346

Just heard that California is banning the sale (not use) of small off road engines (SORE) effectively ~2024. It sounds like the primary focus is for lawn equipment, but isn’t clear to me if kart engines would be included or not. Thoughts?

It also seems like the state board has until July 2022 to provide more scope on the actual regulations, but it would have a big impact to karting companies operating in the state.

LInk to bill - AB1346

“The ban covers all engines that produce less than 25 gross horsepower, including lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, golf carts, specialty vehicles, generators and pumps. It does not apply to on-road motor vehicles, off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, model airplanes, or cars.”

2 Likes

So the best way around this is to buy a higher horsepower 2 stroke kart engine?

Ahh California, its a great place to be FROM!

Sounds mainly like consumer appliances like mowers etc. They pretty specifically excluded things we drive for work/fun. This does screw over these guys tho:

Update on California small engine ruling:

“Should the sales of gas generators be phased out by 2024, those who wish to continue generating power with an ICE have a couple of options. Used generators will still be able to operate and the bill also excludes diesel-powered generators.”

Or just drive to a neighboring state. No idea how California still has a population.

2 Likes

They voted for it. The rest of the left coast seems to want to follow in those footsteps.

I’m in Washington state. I’m sure it’s coming

I live in Norcal and haven’t heard anything from local people saying that this ban applies to kart engines of any type. So if this does apply to karts, no one here seems to be aware of it. Considering some people who live in the area (Swedetech, Leading Edge Motorsports, GFC Racing) I’ve gotta think/hope that’s a good sign that it doesn’t apply.

Not if your mower identifies as something else . . . :rofl:

2 Likes

Apache attack helicopter?