California to ban all small engines. Anyone seen this?

Yeah but it seems to only apply to lawnmowers/leaf blowers etc. they specifically excluded recreational vehicles I think

I found the article unclear on that, as it mentioned off road vehicles and golf karts being banned from being gas powered.

Bans the sale not use from the last thing I read?

Article says “ban the use of…”

This is different than what I’ve read previously, then! Gonna have to read this one now.

25hp or less? Good time to be X30 dealer

4 Likes

This is an excerpt from AB1346 which is a regulation on SORE. SORE is a class of equipment, Small Off Road Engines and defined below. Specifically excluded from SORE are: licensed on-road motor vehicle, an off‑ road motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle, a marine vessel, a snowmobile, a model airplane, a model car, or a model boat. Although go-karts are not specifically named here off road bikes and model car are.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------From AB 1346
Describes what is meant by “Small off-road engine” (SORE) by:

a) Defining SORE to mean any engine that produces a gross horsepower less than 25 horsepower (at or below 19 kilowatts for 2005 and later model AB 1346 (Berman) Page 2 of 11 year), or is designed (e.g., through fuel feed, valve timing, etc.) to produce less than 25 horsepower (at or below 19 kilowatts for 2005 and later model year), that is not used to propel a licensed on-road motor vehicle, an off‑ road motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle, a marine vessel, a snowmobile, a model airplane, a model car, or a model boat;

b) Stating that SORE uses include, but are not limited to, applications such as lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, golf carts, specialty vehicles, generators, and pumps; and

In that case we;ll have to get karts classified as model cars.

cries in 4 stroke …

Cleaned up the convo a little. Carry on people :blush:

1 Like