Camber and Caster eccentric pills

Hey guys so this post is going to surround the eccentric pills that adjust the camber/caster on the front end of karts. I’ll be specifically referring to the newer design that’s on the like of birel, compkart and I think tonykart uses the same setup, basically a dial with holes that you rotate and then lock in place with a little screw.

Right, so the C of all chassis are built with a certain amount of fixed camber and caster, the eccentrics then let you add to or remove from that initial amount.

What I want to know, is there a general universally accepted position on the top and bottom eccentric that is referred to as neutral or base setting across all manufacturers that use the system that I’ve described?

For instance if we reference a 4 point compass N,S,E,W and apply it to the eccentric. Would setting both top and bottom to either both on N OR both on S etc etc really be the same exact setting ? And if so, is this what chassis manufacturers call the base or neutral? Would this be the same as using the static built on camber and caster of the C of the chassis?

Hope I didn’t confuse you guys, looking forward to the discussion

Forgetting the pill manufacturers markings for the moment, and looking at the pills in the metal.

Eccentric pills have the king pin hole out of centre to the 22mm? location diameter.

This gives rise to a variation in the wall thickness of the metal between the king pin bore and the 22 mm location diameter.

The point of max. wall thickness can be marked on each pill to be visible when fitted and used as YOUR datum for positioning.

If the pills, top and bottom are fitted with this datum pointing in the same direction, be this forwards, backwards , sideways or in between, then caster and camber will remain at the neutral setting governed by the positioning of the ‘C’ at manufacture. There will be a marginal change in wheelbase, track or both which can be ignored?

You then need to determine how the pill manufacturer has marked the pills. ie.what symbol on the pills corresponds to YOUR marked datum as above. You are then in a position to use the manufacturers markings to adjust caster and camber to your requirements.

Ok so I think you answered one of my questions about if both pills are pointing the same direction, then effectively you are using the static camber/caster built into the C of the chassis.

Thanks for your input John. Say the datum is pointing inward toward the centre of the kart top and bottom. If you move the one on top only say clockwise one notch and leave the bottom untouched, what would this do? Change camber? Caster? Or both?

I guess what I’m getting at is can you change camber and keep caster constant and vice versa?

No. The shortcoming of these systems is just that ie. you can’t alter caster without altering camber.
The Sniper type systems and others allow independent adjustment.
Bear in mind that camber changes massively when you put on steering lock .

1 Like

Hello KP members, there is a while since we do not talk about eccentric pills.
I´d like your thoughts, suggestions, tips, and impressions about adjusting the camber. What do you recommend using, top or bottom pills to adjust camber? Which one are you used to adjust when you want to give more/less camber?

Carry on, just leaving this here for chuckles. When you need to start removing body panels, you have achieved peak camber.

Doesn’t matter which pill you use, top or bottom. But using the top pill is just easier and more convenient.

On an OTK (and most karts), they recommend keeping it within a range of + or - 2 holes on the pill. I run neutral usually, unless I want to fine tuning the lift action or if I’m looking to increase front tire temp I’ll add a hole or two of negative camber.

1 Like

Just want to mention that you can adjust camber without adjusting caster using these pills, but its a bigger jump in camber. Let’s say you start at neutral with both of the arrows pointing forward. You can turn the top one on notch in one direction, and the bottom one one notch in the other direction, and you’ll have adjusted camber without adjusting caster. Problem is you just did two notches of camber.

Same thing with caster. You can turn one of the pills around to achieve a different caster setting without changing camber, but its a pretty drastic adjustment. The sniper pills are much better in this regard.

2 Likes

Correct. Apologies for the duff info. No caster change without camber change is only valid when using one eccentric pill and one neutral (concentric) pill each sideof the kart.

2 Likes

Thank you @DIG78x . This information is very usefull and cenlightening. I read and think a lot about how to use correct and precisely caster/camber as both are very sensitive, but I’ve never got this insight. Tks

1 Like