Camber and Caster eccentric pills

@CrocIndy can help you out. He was very fast on a 4R with both those tires. He’ll give you his secret set up.

2 Likes

@Yousef_Khalil

Minimum caster, stock front bar, 2mm-4mm Positive camber, front wheels in as far as they will go and widen it by a small spacer at a time only if it pushes, compkart 3.2 (freeline f) axle 1000mm with the hubs buried. Don’t be afraid to cut it and go narrower to free it up. Middle ride height front and rear. Middle wheelbase rear. CompKart supersoft seat or equivalent mounted 1-2 sprockets above the bottom of the frame rails, flat bottom, 103cm from LF kingpin to top back middle of seat. Bottom holes on steering shaft, bottom holes on spindles.

I bought max offset pills to get more caster out and then I put snipers on top to get even more caster out.

FYI: adding snipers to a Freeline chassis takes work and ingenuity. It’s not a simple drop-in.

6 Likes

Thanks, this is awesome! What is the theory here, why are you trying to take all the caster out?

Those things have a ton of natural caster. In a 206, generally you want to run as little caster as possible and still have it be able to unload. Caster just creates unecessary speed scrub in a low HP package.

I see, I will put these settings on and see how it goes!

It seems like there are only two ride height settings on the rear?

I have two axles, both cut to 97cm. The spare says 3.2 like you mentioned, the one on the kart says c1.5, not sure the brand.

The camber number is per side, right? So 2-4mm positive on each side?

1 Like

The C3.2 is going to be the harder of the two axles. Axle chart from Compkart below.

1 Like

Bottom holes on the rear, sorry. I never liked the softer 1.5 axle, but it can be fast as well. I always ran the medium 3.2. being cut is fine. Start at 52.5" wide in the rear. Go narrower or if you need to free it up.

Yes. The camber is going to be per side.

On a Freeline chassis (S14) we run with 0,5 pills on top and neutral in the bottom, 3-4 mm camber pr side, Std rear axle on most occasion 138,5-140cm wide in the rear, and i belive 120,5-122cm in the front.

When the track gets sticking we tend to add a bit more caster, either a 1,5 pill In the top, or switch the neutral out with a 0,5.

1 Like

Do you recommend 6.0 or 7.1 rear tires for the MG Reds on this setup?

I always ran 7.10s when it was an option.

1 Like

Narrow the rear to reduce rear grip?

You’re not reducing grip per se, you’re making a more abrupt fast unload of the inside rear tire.

2 Likes

I always thought widening the rear reduced rear grip (or at least increased oversteer).

It can! @tjkoyen can probably explain better, but it’s situational and kart dependent in my experience, just like softer vs harder.

Wider should carry longer but will be harder to unload, imo. Welcome to the black magic of kart setup where everything does multiple things. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Not to sure if this the best thread but seems to be the most recent.

Does adjusting Camber and/or Castor affect your front ride height? I recently put in my neutral caster pills and it really seemed that the front was smacking the track on a couple corners, replaced them with originals with arrows point forward and it seemed to resolve it a bit.

No, it doesn’t affect ride height. But more caster can make the kart flex more and could cause the front to scrape a bit more under heavy steering input.

Are you sure that the pills were installed correctly? You didn’t forget to put a ride height spacer in or something?

It certainly does - you are rotating the spindle. The change in height is something like dH = w*arctan(angle_change) where w is the horizontal distance from the center of the tire to the pivot point on the spindle. Using w=5" and angle_change=1° gives 1/16". I just guessed on that 5", no idea what it really should be, but you get the idea.

@jantjo - Did you install the eccentric on the top or bottom of the spindle?

99% (always the chance) that they are installed correctly, there is a space on the top and bottom, and then the washer below before the nut and the safety clip fits. could be less flex (reduced when I swapped the pills)