Can video games save motorsport?

:wink::wink:

8 years ago, blimey!

oh that reminds me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEPjCtDE0g (sry for poor quality but it was 13 years go!! 2006!!! haha now I feel reeeaaaallll old) About the same time Zach announced KartKraft (or Kartsim as it was known).

1 Like

Awesome. So cool to see you drive that track since I know it so well now. It’s better I think with the bridge. It’s really neat how the footage from your driver perspective through the final sector looks and feels exactly like what I see in game.

Edit: over 17k rpm? What sort of witchcraft is this?

meh that’s nothing.

Had over 19,000 in my Formula A when the track opened. Could’ve gone 20+ but I valued my existence on planet earth at the time and didn’t fancy meeting the wall backwards.

One thing missing int he sim is the bumps on the new section. They have resurfaced it but when it opened it was unbearable.

Maybe from a spectator perspective racing simulations might generate some interest in the sport. Otherwise, I don’t see racing sims doing anything in getting more people to actively participate in racing.

If anything, video games would do the exact opposite and deter people from trying to race their own real-life kart.

It’s a convenience factor, just like rental karts/indoor karting; a racing sim takes so much less time and effort just to get started, nevermind the financial cost in trying to race your own kart. Even if you spare no expense in building a top-of-the-line gaming rig, it still doesn’t come compare to the constant recurring costs you encounter racing a real kart, as well as the time and work needed to keep it running and actually race it.

And it gets worse as the sims improve year by year, the incentive to race the real thing decreases along with it. It was a different story say, in 1983, when there were no indoor karting facilities and the most realistic racing game available was “Pole Position II”. Back then, if you wanted to race you didn’t have much choice than buying your own vehicle and doing it in real life; now, that’s not necessarily the case any more.