Chain tension and engine mount torque

How much tension should be in the chain and for the engine mount do you just hand tighten it or torque it as well. If so what should I torque it down too.

What engine/chain type?

On a standard 219 chain on all my 2-strokes, I aim for around an inch of play up or down. Tighten motor mount by hand basically as tight as you can get without crushing the tubes.

1 Like

I have an iame leopard 219 chain. How regularly do you tighten the bolts on the motor mount.

I don’t run much single speed at the moment, but always shot for around 1/2" of vertical movement. On the engine mount bolts you can crank on them pretty good, and I will put anti-seize on them every now and again so I can get an accurate torque and they won’t seize in the mount.

1 Like

Tighten when I change gearing or move the engine for any reason and then I just double-check them before each session.

1 Like

Ok thank you I appreciate the help.

I use loc-tite on mine. Not something I want coming loose. I have never had to worry about checking the torque because you have to looen every time you change gearing,

1 Like

How much tension do you usually like in the chain?

Actually, I wouldn’t characterize it as tension, it’s more like slack. Somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4" of up-down play at the chain measured about halfway between the two sprockets. Also, check the tension while rotating the axle at least 360 deg. Chain tension sometimes is not the same throughout the rotation, so there might have to be a compromise in play.

Also, I don’t know how long a non-o-ring chain will last on a Leopard, they tend to rev pretty high and use chain up. Make sure it’s lubed well and the side to side align of rear sprocket to drive sprocket is perfect. My experience with the Leopard is, it loves to eat chains.

1 Like

Thanks, and I lube my chain ever time I go out on the track. I have a ck chain on there and no wear on any of the links and used it for a while. Slack is a way better way to say it. With that amount of slack will it be hitting the clutch guard?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve found that the right lube makes a big difference. I doubt it will hit, if you stay with 1/2" but the chain should never go tight in any position. Chain slack is somewhat of a preference and dictated by experience, so you’ll have to experiment and learn but what the guys said here is roughly where it should be.

Ok thank you I appreciate the help.