Change in plans? Rental vs. LO206

Which would be better for my first year? I was originally going to rent the lo206 for around 6 races next year since I may have to wait to buy an lo206 until 2022, which would amount to around $2260, but I just began to wonder if that was too expensive and if I should focus on driving the rental series first instead. The series is 10 races and I only have to pay $700 for the entire season.

I was wondering maybe it would be better to race rental with a few lo206, that way I can have more seat time and save cash for the lo206 the following year.

but then you have to spend time learning the ropes of owning a kart and all that entails when you decide to make the leap to kart ownership. You don’t need to buy new either.

But I am bias towards kart ownership.

1 Like

You can get into a ready to race 206 kart for about that same price of $2260. It’s not going to be top flight equipment but will still be in decent shape. You can score some good deals for chassis 3-4 years old at that price point.

I’d much rather own my own and learn how to maintain and set up. You can race the used equipment for a bit and move into newer when you’re ready. You then have equipment to sell and help finance the move to new

Just my .02

2 Likes

Always own. You can always go to the rental kart track for extra seat time.

So on paper. You’ll spend $2260 or $700 plus the cost to get started in 2022. Your $40 short of $3000, which makes a nice round number.
Or you could spend $3000 to get started in LO206 now.

What I’m saying is, your going to spend $2260
Or $700

And the cost to get started owning a kart.
Why not just get started owning a kart?

Buy a used package instead of spending that much on renting for 6 races… 100%

I would have to recommend owning your own kart but some things have not been brought up that might influence your decision.
a. Do you currently have a means to transport?
b. Have a place to work on and store a kart?
c. Do have a track where you can race or have practice sessions? And how many times could you make it to that track? Which option gives you the most all important thing, seat time?

All of the answers to your questions are yes, I can transport the kart and storage it in my garage. It’s whether I’m allowed to, my parents are still not completely sold on the idea of me placing the kart in the garage (we have PLENTY of space in there :joy:), and I don’t want to pay $1000 a year for storage at the local track. Just doing local races, I can see myself spending around $1500 a season, not including the purchase of kart and all other initial costs. With storage costs, that changes $1500 to $2500, which is practically the same as renting the kart for a whole season.

… but you still have a kart at the end of the season. Renting you have nothing.

Thats true lol :rofl:

I guess I was just wondering if was worth spending the extra $1000 or not. Also, what is the best way to finding a used LO206 kart and what price range should I look for?

Tough one, go to your local track and ask what’s for sale for a used race ready LO206 kart. My local club will sell a used kart for $2500. (I’m in Canada my coloured money is worth different than yours.) I went to a used kart seller that is well known in the area instead because of stock and took something 5 years old instead of 1 year old and saved myself $1000. I then took the $1000 to buy a stand, a suit, sets of wheels, bead breaker, chain breaker, all the “kart tools” you need outside of typical wrenches and Allen keys. Shop around, don’t buy the first one you see. I could’ve bought a $3000 roller, instead I bought a $1500 race ready kart and spent the other $1500 on all the other stuff. Shop around. Getting started is the hardest part. Once you meet some people, you’ll pick it up pretty fast.

1 Like

Spend the extra money to buy your own kart, so you can tinker with it, work on it on your own time to learn about it, and go practice whenever you want.

What are the list of spares and karting tools that I should have for lo206 race day?

Basic hand tools to start out with. Flat & Philips screw drivers. Set of sockets. Open end wrenches. Some sockets and wrenches you will need doubles of. Some will not be part of a normal set and will have to be purchased separately. Allen wrenches. A spark plug wrench. Side cutters. Spare safety clips and maybe safety wire and wrench. Tie-wraps.
When you have your kart, inventory the hardware on the kart. Have the tools to remove the hardware. We started out with a socket set and couple of screw drivers wrapped in a towel. Your tool inventory will continually grow.

GocartsUSA has their Voodoo carts for under $2,000. Wouldn’t getting one of those be better than renting?

I had never heard of a Voodoo kart before so I just went and checked…

This baaarely a “race kart”. The Clone engine on here isn’t really going to be legal in any class in sprint karting, the kart has fixed side bars, and generally really cheap components all around. It appears to basically be a rental kart without the wrap around bumper, and I can’t imagine it would be competitive at all in an actual race series, even if it had an engine package on it that was usable. If you bought this thing, you’d be in for at least $2k + the cost of a 206 engine package, putting you just short of $3k for something wholly uncompetitive with no dealer support or parts availability. You’re much better off buying an actual used race kart with an established dealer network. It will be cheaper and more competitive.

1 Like

The resale market on that kart is gotta be limited to smucks and numbskulls.

That’s a bit harsh. It’s probably perfectly fine for someone looking to just pound laps.

Looks like they sell VLR’s 206 kart as well.

At $2-3k though? Why wouldn’t you just buy a used 206 package/kart from a shop, establish a relationship, and have access to parts and knowledge?

1 Like

Renting never seems to work out longer term. It seems like there’s a crossover point, maybe 4-5 races a year?