Chassis type for KA100

Question for those who have been racing KA100 this past year… Do you prefer a standard TAG/X30 chassis? Or a 4-stroke specific one?

I see some of the 4-stroke chassis also being marketed towards the 100cc classes… but I can’t help but think that KA is closer in speed to X30 than 206.

If you were getting into KA100 with a new chassis, what would you lean towards?

I haven’t seen any 4-stroke chassis used in KA. It’s all been standard TaG/X30 CIK karts. Most sprint guys run CIK stuff in Yamaha and that’s closer to 206 in speed than KA is. KA isn’t much slower than TaG.

No question, I would go with a standard 2-stroke CIK spec kart.

The concept behind four-stroke specific chassis is more down to budget and a couple of ergonomic tweaks rather than chassis construction/handling differences to accomodate your typical inboard drive OHV engine.
For example, they may come with a simpler camber/caster adjustment system, come conventional wheels and bearing carrier materials, different rear cross bar position, different seat bracket, inboard drive key on the axle.

With the KA100 potentially being a two stroke budget option, those same chassis models for “four stroke” are sometimes offered as a KA100 chassis.

So, I wouldn’t rule one in, or out based on them being used (Marketed) as a four stroke chassis.

More info on four stroke chassis (still sounds like an oxymoron to me :smiley: ) here:

1 Like

That’s going to change depending on which chassis brand you were thinking of using. Some definitely have been using their model that was deemed appropriate for X30/TAG. Some have been going the route of a chassis with a narrower gauge of tubes, going as far as using their 4 cycle model. So, as with most questions regarding karting, the answer is “it depends.” Even if you’re going the route of a used frame, it’s worth the time of talking to the local dealer of the chassis brand that you’re considering, and let them point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess my question sort of revolved around whether or not the (typically) softer 4-stroke chassis were appropriate for KA100… or if a normal X30 chassis was the ticket. Ive seen photos online of people racing KA on the Compkart 4R and the Birel/Ricciardo AM-29.

@KartingIsLife , thanks for the link… that thread addresses a lot of my questions.

Both the 4R and the AM 29 aren’t used in just 4 stroke racing. A soft chassis is tunable, as is a stiffer chassis. The ultimate answer you’ll get is “either is ok,” if you’re willing to put in the time to set it up properly.

Buddy of mine just tested a Compkart 4R with a KA at GoPro. He said it was very quick, he liked it but the small brakes were probably not enough for his needs.

After running a 4R all season, I must respectfully disagree. :slight_smile: