Choose a rib protector

I have the AlpineStar one posted earlier in this thead and it works well for me. Only had rib issues once and it was when I first started and wasn’t wearing a protector at all.

I’ve got a Sparco rib-vest, and it works fine, but even my wife wants me to have a Bengio. :wink:

Still stand by the Bengio Kevlar protector. It has helped me get back in the kart after a 2 month healing process from broken ribs.

I think it’s an Italian brand. It is hard to find. To be fair, if you can’t get a bengio, look at freeM.

Here is a place where you can get one.

1 Like

I generally look at rib vests as being pretty personal. What works for one racer may not work for another. But yeah Bengio’s product gets a lot of love from the racers here…

get a bengio. I hit a barrier sideways at 45mph, cracked and broke my seat, ribs felt nothing

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/bengio-bumper-standard-karting-rib-protector-1241658/ this is the one I have

While I have a Bengio, I also have a DeepSeat and find that the Bengio is overkill. I have been using the Armadillo Vest and have been very happy with it. However, if I were to switch seats I will probably go back to the Bengio. My complaint is the Bengio has what I would call a European fit, meaning its for more slender physiques and I have never been described as that.

1 Like

Bengio. Every live long day :grin:

Yes I used the Alpine Stars for a season, too many injuries.

This has worked for me:

Nowhere have in stock Bengio, only made to order and delivery time propably 20/25 days. So I guess I’ll have to buy FreeM Brave. From what I’ve read here, it’s also pretty good.SAVE_20200930_115912

I originally had the Astars Bionic vest and it did not protect me from my local track’s punishing surface (it’s one of the toughest in Oz). The Bengio delivered a night-and-day difference

1 Like

They stock a good range and ship quickly.

I put a link in here somewhere, 20 day delivery but if you can wait it’s worth it

He’s paying in Polish currency (PLN) so maybe local stuff make this complicated?

Only one store sells Bengio, they have nothing left in stock and waiting for delivery. This may take a long time. I do not have many stores in my country, the assortment is small when it comes to such specialized karting equipment.In stock there are protectors of popular brands (sparco, omp, speed) that stores have it because these companies also make many other products. FreeM or Bengio must be imported from abroad.

I have experience with several. Of the ones you showed, the alpinestars was good and comfortable. It isn’t as strong and thick, but it’s still effective (and a lot less expensive).

Either way, strongly recommend any rib protector vs. none. Don’t get into kart without for first time.

Literally the first day karting, I mangled my ribs.

Fashion tip: wear rib protector under race suit. Looks goofy on the outside and gets all beaten up.

Which track is this?

Oakleigh Go Kart Racing club. It’s a popular circuit, where recent F3 winner Oscar Piastri started out, and it has a reputation of being one of the most physical tracks in Victoria, let alone Oz, since the track is built on landfill (or so I’m told), so there are a number of depressions, bumps and steps that you really feel