Clutch question

No thread locker. Use a lock washer and give her some ugga duggas!

1 Like

I second the no Loctite, or if you do use blue and not red. I spend an hour once trying to get the clutch off the crankshaft as the red Loctite got too hot and melted all over the crankshaft and essentially welded the bolt into the threads.

1 Like

250 in-lbs is 20.8 ft-lbs (1ft = 12 in).

We didn’t use loctite.

My friend and I torqued the bolt together. I held the starting pull cord under tension while he tightened the clutch bolt. No issues so far in about two hours of use.

2023-10-15T05:00:00Z just in case anyone reads this in few years and wonders why someone responded to a 4 year old thread…

The reason you dont want excessive overhang is because theres a void between the end of the race and the end of shaft. When you tighten the clutch bolt, there’s nothing behind it, the washer begins to deform. That releases all the clamping force and suddenly the bolt is loose.

It took me several times to figure out why that was, and as it turns out, I too misinterpreted the instructions. I thought the washers were required

Removing both washers yielded a .026" clearance, so I ugga-dugga’d and it’s good now.

2 Likes