Hello all, first off I am new around here and new to the care of 2 stroke engines…
I have a 1999 CR125 that died suddenly while on track. Seemed like an ignition problem so I have been concentrating on that but no luck so far and I’m getting desperate.
In a rough chronological order here is what I have tried:
- Checked spark with plug against head, spark looks good.
- Checked reeds, they look great.
- Plug is wet, fuel seems to be getting to it just fine.
- Engine was a bit too easy to crank with a strap around the tire, so maybe a bit low on compression.
- Replaced coil, wire, plug cap.
- Replaced stator.
- Replaced CDI (used but known working unit).
- Replaced head gasket, more resistance when cranking now, seems fine.
- Poked around inside carb, cleaned, looks fine.
At this point it now will sputter and cough and run for maybe 1/2 of a second (rather than totally dead before replacing the coil). However, it still will not start. Anything else I’m missing? Thanks in advance!