Cracked Frame

Noticed my frame has a crack. Is this weldable? COMPKART covert 3.0

2 Likes

Definitely repairable. Pretty common crack across brands. Doesn’t make it suck less though.

1 Like

James is right. THE MOST common crack in the history of karting. We repair about one a week in our garage for folks at the track. Pretty sure @Matt_Geist could weld seat struts with his eyes closed now.

Get her welded back up and it will be like nothing ever happened.

2 Likes

I crack most seat struts out of the box moving it to fit the fatty seat.

4 Likes

We’ve gone through a few rolls of welding wire on that joint for sure

3 Likes

You are mig welding them?

1 Like

Yes, sir. Flux core mig welder from Harbor Freight. Just ugly enough we don’t charge anything but plenty strong enough to last a long time.

1 Like

Oh yeah like Derek said flux core for the win. If you’re in a hurry you just start hitting it with weld and the flux wire does a very good job of welding through powder coating once the metal heats up.

1 Like

Damn, we are welding through powder coating too. I always thought the cleaner the metal, the better the weld.

2 Likes

That is correct, to repair it correctly you’d have to grind off the paint before welding it up.

1 Like

I’ve done plenty of gasless-mig welding but I would not try it myself.
Just take it to an engineering shop who does TIG welding and get a professional to do it. I don’t really think they will charge too much in the scheme of things.
Remove any parts before you go to save them the time. Don’t need a burnt seat or cables.

1 Like